Skip to main content

How to become licensed as a Resident Surplus Lines Agency

Only a business entity licensed for Surplus Lines may solicit insurance, or bind coverage, or in any other manner act as an agent or broker in the transaction of surplus lines insurance pursuant to Chapter 12 and Chapter 19 of the Michigan Insurance Code.

  • The agency must hold an active property and casualty insurance producer license as a prerequisite to the Surplus Lines license.
  • Also, the agency must have an active Michigan licensed Surplus Lines producer affiliated with their agency before an agency Surplus Lines license will be issued.

Steps to become initially licensed:

  • File an Electronic Resident Licensing (ERL) application through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) website. The application/license fee is $110.00 plus a $5.00 transaction fee. An application is valid for six months from the date it was entered into the Department of Insurance and Financial Regulation (DIFS) database. For questions regarding the actual electronic application submission, contact NIPR Customer Service at 855-674-6477.
  • Applicants structured as a sole proprietorship or co-partnership are required to upload their county clerk filing to the NIPR Attachments Warehouse. DIFS will confirm organizational filings for a corporation or an LLC with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) Corporations Division.
  • Any "yes" answer to a background question will need to have supporting documentation uploaded to the NIPR Attachments Warehouse.  Please note that disclosures related to individuals affiliated with the agency must also upload their information under the agency’s identification number.