Insurance Continuing Education Waiver or Extension FAQ
Section 1204c(10) of the Michigan Insurance Code, being MCL 1204c(10), states that the commissioner may waive the Continuing Education (CE) requirements of this section for an agent/producer if the commissioner determines that the enforcement of the requirements would cause severe hardship.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible for a waiver or extension of the Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
Our office, with input from the Agent Education Advisory Council, has defined "severe hardship" as
- The licensee has a terminal illness - the disability must impact the licensee’s ability to function as a producer
- Illness of self or spouse that required an inordinate amount of time for care by the licensee, or
- Military duty - active duty or deployment
What information is required to obtain a waiver or extension of CE?
PRIOR to your CE Review date, a letter must be submitted with the following information:
- Current doctor's statement supporting your disability/illness or a copy of the deployment orders;
- Description, in your own words, of the situation;
- Explanation of what functions you are performing as an agent;
- Impact disability/illness has had on your ability to function as an active agent;
- Reason you believe the disability/illness prevented you from attending a classroom course or completing a home study course;
- Specify the length of the waiver or extension.
Where do I send the request for a waiver or extension?
Send all information to the following address or fax number:
Department of Insurance and Financial Services
Continuing Education Waiver or Extension Request
PO Box 30220
Lansing, MI 48909-7720
Fax Number: 517-284-8836
If I receive a waiver or extension, does my CE review date change?
No. CE review dates are established by statute and credit hours are due every two years thereafter. If you were granted additional time to complete the hours and/or received a waiver for an entire review period, CE credit hours are due every two years from the initial review date.
Your CE credit hours and review dates are available on the DIFS website using the Insurance Agent Locator search mechanism.