Skip to main content

Insurance Pre-licensing Education Exclusions and Waivers FAQ

Updated 06/25/18

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Yes. A waiver of the Pre-licensing Education (PE) requirement may be granted for individuals holding the professional designations listed below and for the line of authority shown.  For example, CFP will waive only the PE requirement for the Life examination. If the combined Life/Accident & Health examination is taken, PE is required for Accident & Health.

    Wavier Examples

    Life Designations A & H Designations P & C Designations
    CLU Blank Cell Blank Cell
    FLMI Blank Cell Blank Cell
    LUTCF Blank Cell Blank Cell
  • You should submit a letter requesting the waiver, and provide your date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN. Include a copy of the professional designation certificate or a letter confirming the possession of a professional designation.

  • Yes. Individuals must possess a concentration of 21 term credits or 17 semester credit hours of insurance course work from an accredited college.

    A concentration in Risk Management or Property or Casualty course work is required to waive the PE requirement for a Property and/or Casualty licensing exam.

    A concentration in Life and Health or related Estate Planning course work is required to waive the PE requirement for a Life and/or Accident and Health licensing exam.

  • You must submit a letter requesting the waiver, and include your date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN. You are required to include copies of your college transcript and course descriptions.

  • Send all required documents and a letter to:

    Pre-licensing Education Waiver Request
    PO Box 30220
    Lansing, MI 48909

    The letter should contain the request for a PE waiver and your contact information, including your name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your SSN. Please contact our office at 877-999-6442 if you have additional questions.

  • No. The waiver should be kept for your records. DIFS staff will add PE Waiver information to your record in our database.

  • Candidates are not required to complete PE if they are obtaining a license for Limited Lines P & C, Title, Adjuster, Counselor, or Surplus Lines.

    Candidates who are obtaining a license for Limited Line Credit Insurance are not required to complete a State-approved PE program. However, the insurer must provide a program of instruction to each individual whose duties will include selling, soliciting or negotiating limited line credit insurance.

  • Our office has entered into a partnership with PSI Services LLC (PSI) to administer insurance licensing examinations. In addition, PSI publishes the content outlines for all Michigan licensing examinations on their website at PSI Exams Online. Content outlines indicate the examination time limit, subject area and the number of items in each area.

  • Following is a link to a list of providers that offer study material for license types not requiring PE.  Please note this list does not include all PE providers or material for examinations without the PE requirement:

    Study Material for MI Exam types without Pre-licensing Education requirement

The answers provided are not meant to be a substitute for legal advice.