Opioids and Prescriptions
Opioid addiction as well as the misuse of prescription pain medication are serious issues that are currently on the rise. This epidemic is impacting individuals, families and communities alike. If you or someone you know is struggling with opioid addiction, help and treatment options are available. Below is information and resources to assist State of Michigan employees and their family members who may be impacted by the opioid epidemic.
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS): Here you will find a comprehensive website dedicated to the opioid epidemic including extensive information and resources.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine: Opioid Addiction 2016 Fact & Figures (PDF)
- Prescription Opioids: What you need to Know (PDF)
- Prescription Drug Abuse in the Elderly
- Anxiety and Pain Medication
Many people struggle with chronic pain and have difficulty managing their symptoms. At times, opioid medication is prescribed in an attempt to alleviate or control chronic pain. Becoming educated on the effects of opioids used in pain management as well as alternative options can help you make informed decisions related to your prescription use.