The 2018 Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Grace Period ends March 15, 2019. Any remaining funds left in 2018 FSAs must be spent on eligible expenses by this date. All 2018 FSA substantiation claims must be submitted by the May 31, 2019 runout date.
New 2019 Plan Year Update: The IRS issued a notice that will increase the annual contribution limit for 2019 Health Care FSAs to $2,700, effective January 1, 2019. Employees who elect an amount above $2,600 through the FSA Open Enrollment process will be contacted via email prior to the new plan year taking effect to confirm whether they would like to increase their contribution to the new annual limit.
The State of Michigan offers two types of FSAs. Health Care FSAs allow you to put aside pre-tax dollars for health care expenses not covered by any medical, dental, or vision care plan. Dependent Care FSAs allow you to put aside pre-tax dollars to cover child/elder care expenses (such as day care) for your eligible dependents so you can work.
When you elect a Health Care FSA, your account is funded with the full amount you've chosen at the beginning of the year. A Dependent Care FSA works a lot like a Health Care FSA, except funds are available as contributions are deducted from your paycheck.
The State of Michigan offers a Grace Period for the 2019 and 2018 plan years of 2-1/2 months following the end of each plan year. During this time, balances remaining in either your Health Care FSA or Dependent Care FSA plan may be used to reimburse eligible expenses incurred during the Grace Period. You must enroll each year to participate; elections do not carry over year-to-year.
2019 FSA Plan Year
- November 1–November 30, 2018–FSA Open Enrollment for the 2019 FSA Plan Year.
- January 1, 2019–First day of the 2019 FSA Plan Year.
- January 10, 2019–First payroll deduction for the 2019 FSA Plan Year.
- December 31, 2019–Last day of the 2019 FSA Plan Year.
- March 15, 2020–Last day to incur charges for the 2019 FSA Plan Year through WageWorks.
- May 31, 2020–Last day to submit substantiation documentation and receipts to WageWorks for the 2019 FSA plan year.
2018 FSA Plan Year
- December 31, 2018–Last day of the 2018 FSA Plan Year.
- March 15, 2019–Last day to incur charges for the 2018 FSA Plan Year through WageWorks.
- May 31, 2019–Last day to submit substantiation documentation and receipts to WageWorks for the 2018 FSA Plan Year.
When submitting a claim or contacting WageWorks, you will be asked to provide an ID Code. Enter the last four digits of your employee ID number, not the last four of your social security number