Meet the Commission
The Michigan Civil Service Commission is a bipartisan, four-member body, appointed by the Governor. Current Commissioners include Janet McClelland, Jase Bolger, Nick Ciaramitaro, and Jeff Steffel. The commission also appoints a state personnel director to implement its decisions. Article 11, Section 5 of Michigan's constitution mandates that the commission shall:
- Classify all positions in the classified service according to their respective duties and responsibilities,
- Fix rates of compensation for all classes of positions,
- Approve or disapprove disbursements for all personal services,
- Determine by competitive examination and performance exclusively on the basis of merit, efficiency, and fitness the qualifications of all candidates for positions in the classified service,
- Make rules and regulations covering all personnel transactions, and
- Regulate all conditions of employment in the classified service.
The commission is charged with translating this mandate into action to help the state meet the challenges of the workplace of tomorrow.
Your questions and comments are welcome by e-mail to CivilServiceCommission@michigan.gov.