Skip to main content

9. What if I took a refund of previous Michigan Public School Employees' Retirement System contributions while working for EAA?

If you previously worked within the Michigan Public School Employees' Retirement System and received a refund of your Defined Benefit pension contributions when you terminated your employment, you forfeited all service for the calculation of your pension and insurance subsidy associated with those contributions. As an active (working) member, you can reinstate your forfeited service credit by repaying the contributions you withdrew. When you repay a refund, you must also pay interest charges from the date of the refund to the date of payment in full. Certain conditions apply, so contact the Michigan Office of Retirement Services to verify eligibility and cost.