Skip to main content

When to Contact ORS

Image of the legs of soldiers standing at attention
Michigan Office of Retirement Services

When to Contact ORS

When to Contact ORS

miAccount is the fastest way to access and make changes to your account. When you log in, you have secure access to update your contact information.

Below are the most common situations that would require contact with the Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) after your pension payments begin. Please use it as a general guide only. Because we can't list every possible event that should be reported, it's best to contact us if you're not sure. You can use the secure Message Board in miAccount to contact a knowledgeable ORS representative.

Click a link to jump to the content below.

Address Change

Be sure we know your current mailing address and email address at all times, so you receive your statements and other important notices. Address changes can be made online through miAccount or by using the Name, Address, and Contact Information Change (R0357D) form.


Upon the death of the retiree or surviving spouse, your personal representative (family member or executor) should contact ORS as quickly as possible. We will need your Social Security number and a photocopy of the death certificate.

Direct Deposit Change 

You may update your direct deposit information by logging in to miAccount or by contacting us to have the Direct Deposit Application (R0277D) form mailed to your home address. Ordinarily, if we receive your request by the first day of the month, your next payment should be deposited to your new account. Do not close your old account until your pension payment has been successfully deposited in your new account.

Income Tax Withholding

You can change your federal or Michigan tax withholding rate at any time in miAccount or by sending ORS an updated Income Tax Withholding Authorization (R0012D) form.