Skip to main content

Identify theft can happen to anyone – from Millennials to the Greatest Generation.

If a taxpayer suspects they’re a victim of tax-related identity theft:

  • Respond immediately to any IRS or any other state notice; call the number provided.
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, if your e-filed return is rejected because of a duplicate filing under your Social Security number (SSN) or you are instructed to do so. Attach the form to your return and mail according to instructions.
  • If you are a resident of the state of Michigan or believe identity theft has occurred in Michigan, please call (517) 636-4486.
  • Please forward all required documentation to the Identity Theft Unit, Income Tax Division, P.O. Box 30477, Lansing, MI  48909.

Follow these additional steps if you are a victim of identity theft:

  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at
    • The FTC also contains sample letters to help you resolve issues with the credit bureaus, credit card issuers, and other companies with which you may do business.
  • Contact one of three major credit bureaus to place a “fraud alert” on your credit records:
  • Contact your financial institutions and close any financial or credit accounts opened without your permission or tampered with by identity thieves.