The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Protecting MI Pension Grant Application Process
Begin the Application for the Protecting MI Pension Grant
Qualified units will use Michigan’s eSignature Solution to file a claim for a grant award for the Protecting MI Pension Grant Program. Please select the link at the top of the page to begin the application process. Slides 14 – 27 of the Protecting MI Pension Grant Process Webinar from April 6, 2023, provide a visual overview of the eSignature application process for the Protecting MI Pension Grant.
Please direct all technical support related questions on the eSignature application process to: Treas-eSignature@Michigan.gov
Applications will be accepted beginning Monday April 17, 2023, until Thursday June 15, 2023
- Protecting MI Pension Grant Application (Form 5886) (to be completed online in eSignature)
- Protecting MI Pension Grant Application Instructions
- Protecting MI Pension Grant Checklist
- Protecting MI Pension Grant Program Frequently Asked Question (Updated 5/23/2023)
- Protecting MI Pension Grant Board Resolution Sample
Required Supporting Documentation (to be completed and attached in eSignature Application)
- Protecting MI Pension Grant Affidavit (Form 5887)
- Must be signed by Chief Administrative Officer and notarized by Notary Public
- Copy of approved local government governing body resolution authorizing the chief administrative officer to file a claim for a grant payment for the Protecting MI Pension Grant Program.
- Copy of actuarial valuation(s) utilized in audited financial statements used to complete the most recent Form 5572 submitted as of 12/31/2021 for all qualified retirement systems that are requesting grant awards.
- Most recent actuarial valuation as of 12/31/2022 for all qualified retirement systems that are requesting grant awards.
Optional Documents (Required if Applicable)
- Copy of court ordered judgement levying a millage to cover local government pension costs
Protecting MI Pension Grant Requirements
- Grant funds will be made available to cities, villages, townships, counties, and road commissions with a qualified retirement system with a funded ratio less than 60% based on the last report filed as required by Section 5 of the Protecting Local Government Retirement and Benefits Act, Public Act 202 of 2017, MCL 38.2805, as of December 31, 2021, the Retirement System Annual Report (Form 5572).
- Qualified local units can comply with the future expectations for the Protecting MI Pension Grant Program by completing and submitting a notarized copy of the Protecting MI Pension Grant Affidavit (Form 5887) attesting to the requirements listed in in Public Act 166 of 2022, Section 979a(2)(a-f) upon receipt of the grant award.
For more information about this grant program, visit: