Skip to main content

Treasury: Tax Relief for Disaster Survivors of Hurricane Ian in Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina

The Michigan Department of Treasury is providing an opportunity for Hurricane Ian survivors to obtain tax relief.

Individuals and households affected by Hurricane Ian that reside or have a business anywhere in the states of Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina can request additional time to file state of Michigan tax returns and pay state of Michigan tax bills, with penalties and interest waived. The Internal Revenue Service recently announced tax relief for Hurricane Ian disaster survivors.

“A natural disaster can be devastating both personally and financially,” State Treasurer Rachael Eubanks said. “The last thing a hurricane survivor should worry about right now is paying a tax bill. Taxpayers need to focus on their recovery, and there will not be any late penalties or interest if taxpayers need more time to file and pay because of the hurricane. We will get through this challenge together. Taxpayers should reach out to us to learn more about the process for obtaining this relief.” 

Individuals unable to meet filing or payment deadlines due to this emergency should contact Treasury at 517-636-4486. Businesses are asked to call 517-636-6925.

In addition, affected taxpayers may write to Treasury to request emergency-related tax relief. When writing, the following must be included in the correspondence:

  • Name and account number of the individual or business taxpayer.
  • Reason for the relief request.
  • Taxpayer address within one emergency area or address of the tax preparer located in the emergency area.

Taxpayers should send the completed correspondence to the following address:

Michigan Department of Treasury
Attn: Disaster Tax Relief
Lansing, Michigan 48922

Some taxpayers may receive a preliminary assessment notice before a tax relief request is formally received by Treasury. Taxpayers within the emergency area who receive these notices should contact Treasury by phone to resolve.

To learn more about Michigan’s tax system, go to