Temporary Licenses

Temporary licenses without examination are allowed under Section 1211b; of the Michigan Insurance Code. In some cases, temporary licenses are utilized to provide the survivor of a deceased or a mentally or physically disabled producer with a license mechanism to receive continuing commission payments. It is also issued to the designee of a licensed producer entering active service in the armed forces of the United States of America. These types of licenses are issued for a maximum of 180 days. If a license is needed beyond that time frame, the person will need to obtain a permanent license. (See - What steps are required to become licensed as a first-time resident producer?)

Applicants must file an Electronic Licensing (ERL) application.

If applicant's home state does not require licensure, contact DIFS/Licensing at 877-999-6442 for instructions on how to apply.  

NOTE: All temporary licenses are issued at the discretion of the State of Michigan. The issuance of a temporary license to an applicant in no way obligates our office to subsequently issue any permanent or unrestricted license to the applicant. Nor does the issuance of a temporary license obligate our office to extend that temporary license beyond its expiration date.