Skip to main content

How to become licensed as a Resident Surplus Lines Producer

Only a person licensed for Surplus Lines may solicit insurance, or bind coverage, or in any other manner act as an agent or broker in the transaction of surplus lines insurance pursuant to Chapter 12 and Chapter 19 of the Michigan Insurance Code. To be eligible for a resident Surplus Lines license, an individual must hold an active property and casualty producer license as a prerequisite to the Surplus Lines license.

Steps to become initially licensed:

  • File an Electronic Resident Licensing (ERL) application through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) website. The application/license fee is $110.00 plus a $5.00 transaction fee. An application is good for six months from the date it was entered into the Department of Insurance and Financial Regulation (DIFS) database. For questions regarding the actual electronic application submission, contact NIPR Customer Service at 855-674-6477.
  • You must successful complete the Surplus Lines examination. If the examination is not passed within six months, the applicant must submit a new license application, fee, and reschedule their examination. Visit our Examination Information page for information specific to the examination.