The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Interconnection Standards and Worker Safety
Notice: MI Power Grid meetings and all other MPSC workgroup meetings will be conducted via teleconference only until further notice. Please find remote access information for upcoming meetings on our calendar of events.
Interconnection standards are rules that spell out how projects owned by customers or developers connect to the utility system. These rules provide a standardized process and schedule so that interconnections can be accommodated in an orderly and timely manner. The rules also ensure that interconnections are done safely, in order to protect workers, utility and third-party owned equipment, and the public. As a result of the work done by the Interconnection & Worker Safety workgroup, new interconnection rules known as the Michigan Interconnection and Distributed Generation Standards (MIXDG rules) became effective on April 25, 2023. The activities leading up to the final rules can be seen here. Utilities will file interconnection procedures specific to each utility based on the approved MIXDG rules.
Actions to Date
- On August 23, 2023, rate-regulated utilities and member-regulated co-ops (jointly filing in Case No. U-21481) filed interconnection procedures, forms and requests for waivers in the individual dockets pursuant to R460.920(1).
- U-21455 Northern States Power Company
- U-21467 Indiana Michigan Power Company
- U-21477 Upper Peninsula Power Company
- U-21479 Upper Michigan Energy Resources Corporation
- U-21480 Consumers Energy Company
- U-21481 Cooperatives (Alger Delta Cooperative Electric Association, Cherryland Electric Cooperative, Cloverland Electric Cooperative, Great Lakes Energy Cooperative, HomeWorks Tri-County Electric Cooperative, Midwest Energy & Communications, Ontonagon County REA, Presque Isle Electric & Gas Co-Op, and Thumb Electric Cooperative)
- U-21482 DTE Electric Company
- U-21483 Alpena Power Company
- On May 18, 2023 the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-21117 requiring utilities and member-regulated cooperatives to file draft interconnection procedures no later than June 16, 2023, the Staff to hold a virtual stakeholder workgroup session on June 21, 2023 for input on the draft procedures and final interconnection procedures no later than August 23, 2023.
- The MIXDG rules were filed with the Office of the Great Seal and became effective on April 25, 2023.
- On April 24, 2023 the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-20890 adopting the MIXDG rules and transmitting the rules to MOAHR for filing with the Secretary of State.
Next Steps• Utilities and member-regulated cooperatives file draft interconnection procedures no later than June 16, 2023
• Staff will hold a virtual stakeholder workgroup session the morning of June 21, 2023 for input on the draft procedures
• Utilities and member-regulated cooperatives file final interconnection procedures no later than August 23, 2023