The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Michigan Veteran Homes’ ‘Make a Veteran Smile Campaign’ Brings Joy to Veteran Members Around the Holidays
November 30, 2022
LANSING, Mich. — Michigan Veteran Homes’ ‘Make a Veteran Smile Campaign’ encourages Michiganders to spread holiday cheer by sending a card or letter to veteran members.
“The ongoing pandemic has limited attendance at our activities and led us to be more cautious about attending large community gatherings,” said Sarah Johnson, volunteer and donations coordinator for Michigan Veteran Homes D.J. Jacobetti. “Sending a letter or card to our members is another way the community can share appreciation and support for veterans around the holidays.”
“These cards make a real difference in the lives of veterans who have fought and sacrificed for our freedom,” said Tiffany Carr, community engagement coordinator for Michigan Veteran Homes (MVH). “For some of our members who do not have close friends or family, this might be the only message they receive around the holidays.”
Here are a few helpful guidelines for holiday messages:
- Include a personal note in each card.
- If you have an envelope, please do not seal it.
- Use large writing and dark ink.
- Large format cards or banners that can be displayed or hung are acceptable.
- Standard paper food tray liners with coloring or messages are a great alternative to cards and letters.
Cards and letters can be addressed to ATTN: Make a Vet Smile and hand-delivered or mailed to:
- Michigan Veteran Homes at Chesterfield Township at 47901 Sugarbush Rd., Chesterfield Township, MI 48047.
- Michigan Veteran Homes at Grand Rapids at 2950 Monroe Ave. NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49505.
- Michigan Veteran Homes D.J. Jacobetti at 425 Fisher St., Marquette, MI 49855.
For more information or questions about supporting MVH with an in-kind donation, contribution to the charitable support fund or a donation to help fund a capital campaign, please contact Ryan Engle, director of development and strategic engagement for MVH at firstname.lastname@example.org.