Skip to main content

When can I start classes?

Once you submit your scholarship application, your next steps are to:

  • Apply to and be admitted to a Michigan public community college
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at If we have one on file for you already, you can skip this step.
  • Enroll in a Pell-eligible skill certificate or an associate degree.

If you do not start school within one (1) year of your scholarship application being accepted, you may need to reactivate your Reconnect scholarship application.

To reactivate your Reconnect scholarship application, you'll need to have a current-year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file in the Michigan Department of Treasury Student Portal. If you're not sure which FAFSA is considered a 'current-year' FAFSA,  check out What FAFSA Do I Complete?