The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Detroit FRC School District Meeting Minutes July 25 2022
Detroit Financial Review Commission
SCHOOL DISTRICT REGULAR MEETING
Monday, July 25, 2022
Following the City’s Regular Meeting
(Begins no earlier than 1:05 p.m.)
Using Microsoft Teams
- Call to Order
- Madam Chair, designate, Jessica Thomas called the meeting to order at 1:18 p.m.
- The meeting was informed that Madam Chair, Rachael Eubanks, for the Detroit Financial Review Commission will not attend this meeting and Madam Chair, designate, Jessica Thomas will chair the FRC’s 7-25-2022 monthly meetings in her absence.
- In addition, in accordance with Public Act 181 of 2014, the Michigan Financial Review Commission Act (the "Act"), MCL 141.1631-141.1643, Jessica Thomas, State Bureau Administrator, Bureau of Local Government and School Services, will serve as designee and a member of the Financial Review Commission for the City of Detroit and the Financial Review Commission for the School District of the City of Detroit and the Detroit Public Schools Community District meetings on Monday, July 25, 2022.
- Pursuant to Section 5(5) of the Act, MCL 141.1635(5), in the absence of Chairperson, Rachael Eubanks from a Commission meeting, Jessica Thomas, will serve as Chairperson of the Commission for the Monday, July 25, 2022, meeting.
- Roll Call
- Let the record show that six (6) Commission members eligible to vote on matters relating to DPSCD were present. A quorum was present.
- Approval of proposed Minutes from the FRC’s June 27, 2022, School District Monthly Meeting
- Motion made by Commissioner Rose and supported by Commissioner Nicholson to approve the draft minutes of the Commission’s June 27, 2022, School District Meeting.The Commission unanimously approved the minutes of the June 27, 2022, meeting as presented.
- Executive Director’s Report
- Patrick Dostine, Executive Director, informed the meeting that in reviewing the monthly financial reports for DPS and DPSCD, for the month ending May 31, 2022, the School District continues to pay its debt obligations, remains in compliance, and there is no reason to consider rescinding the waivers at this time.
- Mr. Vidito addressed questions from the commissioners relating to matters coming out of the monthly report, which included: budget to actual; Federal Sources; enrollment, and student achievement/performance.
- During discussion, the commissioners recommended, and it was agreed that a request will be made to Superintendent, Dr. N. Vitti to provide a detailed update and review of the district’s performance data at the next FRC meeting.
- Old Business:
- New Business:
- Public Comment:
- Next Meeting Date
- School District Regular Meeting: Monday, August 29, 2022, following the City Meeting, beginning no earlier than 1:05 pm, remotely using Microsoft Teams.
- Motion made by Commissioner Rose and supported by Commissioner Vidito to adjourn. The Commission approved the motion to adjourn.
- There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 1:38 p.m.
Members Present – 7
- Dr. Barnwell
- Chris Harkins
- David Nicholson
- Jay Rising (non-voting on DPSCD matters)
- Ron Rose
- Jessica Thomas
- Jeremy Vidito
Members Absent – 3
- Ms. Peterson-Mayberry
- Mary Sheffield (non-voting on DPSCD matters)John Walsh