To provide for the protection of persons and property from exposure to the dangers of fire through inspection and fire prevention and to serve the training needs of over 30,000 fire fighters in the state of Michigan.
The tenacious pursuit of providing a fire safe environment for all firefighters and citizens in the State of Michigan.
- Fire Fighter Training The FFTD serves the training needs of approximately 1,208 fire departments and over 30,000 fire fighters throughout the state by preparing and publishing advisory and training standards as well as establishing courses of study, instructor qualifications and regional training centers.
- Plan Review The Plan Review Division performs plan reviews of all new construction, additions or renovations of state regulated facilities as well as provides formal training for the fire service and constituents in the interpretation of the fire safety rules.
- Storage Tanks The Storage Tank Division regulates both above and underground storage tanks; gas stations, trucking companies, generator tanks and any petroleum or hazardous substance storage tanks.
- National Fire Incident Reporting System Through an automated reporting system, NFIRS collects accurate data of fire department activity in order to better understand the fire problem in Michigan and develop strategies to address these issues to increase safety.
- Field Services The Field Services Division seeks to assure maintenance of fire safe conditions in state regulated facilities through the inspection of all new construction, additions or renovations of existing facilities as well as annual inspections as required by licensing agreements.
- Fire Marshal The State Fire Marshal is the chief advocate of fire safety for Michigan citizens, the fire service and others affected by Michigan's Fire Prevention Code and the Fire Fighters Training Council Act.
- Fireworks Program The Fireworks Program regulates the sale and use of consumer-grade fireworks in the state of Michigan as outlined in Public Act 256 of 2011.
- RIS - New and Existing Penal Facilities Fire Safety Rules
- New and Existing School, College and University Fire Safety Rules Effective 6-20-16
- CPSC - Gamewell-FCI Recalls Fire Alarm Panels Due to Failure to Alert of a Fire, Smoke or CO
- Dormitory Rules Regulatory Impact Statement
- Fire Marshal Bulletin #18 - Barricade Devices on Classroom Doors
- Health Care Facilities Fire Safety Rules rev. 12-23-14
- 12-A Documentation and Inspection Request Process Improvements