Underground Storage Tanks
REORGANIZATION: The underground storage tank program and the aboveground storage tank program, along with the associated staff, have been transferred from the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), effective December 2, 2012. For details see Executive Order 2012-14.
This program includes regulatory activities and oversight of the design, construction, installation and maintenance of underground storage tanks storing regulated substances. The regulatory authority is under Part 211, Underground Storage Tank Regulations, of Act 451 of 1994, as amended, and the Michigan Underground Storage Tank Rules (MUSTR). In addition to MUSTR, new tanks and piping shall comply with the Storage and Handling of Flammable and Combustible Liquids (FL/CL) Rules. Plan Review Requirements: Owners/operators must submit a notice of proposed installation of USTs, which provides facility and UST details. Currently the Storage Tank Division (STD) in the BFS has 30 days, from date of receipt, to issue a review report on the proposed installation. The regulations do not require state approval of plans, but do require that the plans be certified. The regulations provide that the state may certify the plans or that the owner/operator may have the plans certified via a registered engineer filing an affidavit of compliance with those regulations. If the state inspection finds the system not in compliance with the rules upon inspection, the installation can be disapproved and the owner/operator may be required to make the necessary corrections.
Registration Requirements: Owners/operators of regulated USTs have to register each UST by submitting a registration form to the STD with an annual fee of $100 per UST. Owners/operators (O/Os) of petroleum underground storage tanks (USTs) are required to provide Financial Responsibility (FR) for taking corrective action and for compensating third parties for bodily injury and property damage arising from a release by petroleum USTs. Suspected and confirmed releases from regulated USTs must be reported currently to the STD.
- UST Registration Fee Payment Website
- Danger From Static While Fueling
- FAQ's Storage Tank New Rule Requirements
- FAQ: Home Heating Oil Tanks
- FAQ: Registration of Underground Storage Tanks
- Financial Responsibility for Underground Storage Tanks
- Handbook for Handling, Storing, and Dispensing E85
- Introduction to Statistical Inventory Reconciliation for Underground Storage Tanks
- MUSTs for USTs
- Operating And Maintaining Underground Storage Tank Systems
- Regulated Substance
- Self Service Stations
- Storage Tank Division Region Map
- Straight Talk on Tanks
- UST System Compatibility With Biofuels
- Underground Storage Tank Owner/Operator Training and Certification (Class A, B and C Operators)