- Richard W. Miller was appointed by Governor Rick Snyder to serve as state fire marshal on February 24, 2012. He serves as the most senior fire official within the state and as adviser to the governor and legislature on a wide range of issues relevant to fire safety, prevention and protection. He is the chief advocate for fire safety for Michigan citizens and the fire protection community and others affected by the Michigan Fire Prevention Code and the Fire Fighter Training Council Act.
State Fire Marshal Miller leads the Michigan Bureau of Fire Services within the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. His primary responsibilities are overseeing fire safety code adoption and enforcement, fire and arson investigation, fire incident data reporting and analysis, fire fighter training, regulation of aboveground and underground storage tanks, hazardous materials incident responses and public education.
He also serves as a statutory member, or ex-officio member of the State Fire Safety Board, Fire Fighters Training Council, Michigan Homeland Protection Board, State Board of Mechanical Rules, Construction Code Commission, Electrical Administrative Board, National Fire Protection Association, International Code Council (ICC), National Association of State Fire Marshals and has a seat on the State Emergency Operations Center.
Prior to his appointment, State Fire Marshal Miller served as Dearborn’s fire chief since 2010. He began his career as a fire fighter with the Dearborn Fire Department and held several positions there including fire inspector, fire lieutenant, fire captain and senior battalion chief.
Miller holds professional certifications for driver’s training, tactical and pump operations, hazardous materials, Fire Officer I, II and III and others from Michigan’s Fire Fighters Training Council. He served on the Michigan State Fire Safety Board since August 2011. He received an associate’s degree in fire science from Henry Ford Community College; a bachelor’s degree in fire science and occupational safety and health from Madonna University; and attended Eastern Michigan University’s School of Fire Staff and Command.
Fire Marshal Alerts and Bulletins
Public Service Announcements
- State Fire Marshal advises to leave fireworks displays to the pros
- State Fire Marshal reminds safety first when it comes to outdoor grilling
- State Fire Marshal encourages practicing strict safety measures when using fireworks
- Bureau of Fire Services shares tips for safe outdoor grilling
- State Fire Marshal warns be cautious while cooking this holiday season
- State Fire Marshal shares tips to prevent university housing fires
- State Fire Marshal advises to develop and review your home escape plan
- State Fire Marshal advises to test your smoke alarms