Skip to main content

How to become licensed as a non-resident Surplus Lines Producer

Only a person licensed for Surplus Lines in his or her home state may obtain a Michigan Non-resident Surplus Lines license. It is further required that the individual hold an active Michigan non-resident property and casualty producer license as a  prerequisite to the Surplus Lines license.  The property and casualty producer license may be applied for prior to applying for the Non-resident Surplus Lines license or done simultaneously.

Steps to become initially licensed:

  • File an Electronic Non-Resident Licensing (ERL) application through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) website. The application/license fee is $110.00 plus a $6.18 transaction fee. An application is good for six months from the date it was entered into the Department of Insurance and Financial Regulation (DIFS) database. For questions regarding the actual electronic application submission, contact NIPR Customer Service at 855-674-6477.
  • Any “yes” answer to a background question will need to have supporting documentation uploaded to the NIPR Attachments Warehouse.

Note: In lieu of an original letter of certification, our office will rely on verification of applicant’s resident licenses through the NAIC Producer Database (PDB).