Skip to main content

DIFS: Renters Insurance an Important Part of Back-to-School Preparation

Readily available, inexpensive renters insurance policies can protect students if storm damage, fire, or theft strikes dorms or apartment buildings

Media Contact: Laura Hall, 517-290-3779,
Consumer Hotline: 877-999-6442,


(LANSING, MICH) As college students get ready to head back to Michigan campuses, the Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) is reminding students and other renters about the importance of working with a licensed insurance agent or company to purchase a renters insurance policy. Renters insurance will protect you in the event of theft or if a storm, fire, or other disaster damages belongings in your apartment or dorm room.

"Renters can suffer significant losses caused by storms, fires, and other events such as theft, so it is important that they have the coverage they need before these losses occur," said DIFS Director Anita Fox. "Back to school is the perfect time for students, and even their parents, to discuss their insurance coverages to make sure they are fully protected in the event of a disaster.”

Many Michigan students who rent an apartment, house, or live in a dorm room are unaware that their personal property, such as their books, clothing, or electronic devices, are not covered by their landlord’s or school’s property insurance and may not be covered by their parent’s current homeowners insurance policy. This means that if a fire, severe storm, or theft occurs and a renter's personal belongings are damaged or stolen, the renter may be personally responsible for replacing or repairing their items unless they purchased a renters insurance policy before the damage occurred. Students and parents may wish to check their homeowners insurance policy to confirm if the student’s personal property will be covered while they are temporarily away at school before working with a licensed agent to purchase renters insurance.

In addition to providing coverage for a person's belongings if they are damaged, renters insurance will help covered individuals find alternative living accommodations if their rented apartment or home is damaged in a storm, fire, or other covered event. Renters insurance can also help protect a renter if someone sues them for damages or injuries caused by a family member, friend, or themselves on the rented property.

It is important to note that, like homeowners insurance policies, most renters insurance policies do not cover flood damage. To make sure they are fully protected, renters should also consider adding a flood insurance policy to cover their belongings in the event of a flood. More information about flood insurance for renters is available at

For questions about renters insurance or other types of insurance, or for help finding a licensed insurance agent or company that can help consumers purchase a renters policy, visit or call 877-999-6442 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Consumers may file a complaint online 24 hours a day by visiting

The mission of the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services is to ensure access to safe and secure insurance and financial services fundamental for the opportunity, security, and success of Michigan residents, while fostering economic growth and sustainability in both industries. In addition, the Department provides consumer protection, outreach, and financial literacy and education services to Michigan residents. For more information, visit or follow the Department on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.