About The Commission
Commission Meeting Notices
- Public Meeting Notice - July 26, 2021 Civil Rights Commission Meeting
- Public Notice - June 28 Civil Rights Commission Special Meeting
- Public Meeting Notice - May 24, 2021 Civil Rights Commission Meeting
- Public Meeting Notice - March 22, 2021
- UPDATED Public Notice - January 25, 2021 Civil Rights Commission Meeting
Recent Commission Statements
- MCRC Chair Stacie Clayton Issues Statement on Michigan Supreme Court Decision to Hear Appeal in Key Civil Rights Case
- Chair of the Michigan Civil Rights Commission Calls for Weighted Funding Formula for K-12 Schools
- Michigan Civil Rights Commission Issues Statement on President Biden's Decision to Increase Federal Contracts for DBEs and Boost Support for Minority-Owned Small Business
- Michigan Civil Rights Commission Issues Statement on the Appointment of Kristen Clarke as Asst. Attorney General for Civil Rights at USDOJ
- Michigan Civil Rights Leaders Commend Passage of COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act
- Michigan Civil Rights Commission Congratulates and Thanks Director White for His Work
Education Equity in Michigan Report
The Michigan Civil Rights Commission has stated that an effective education is a basic civil right. The Commission has now released a comprehensive report describing inequities in Michigan's K-12 education system and detailing specific recommendations for action that policy makers and educators can implement to make achieving educational equity a priority in all Michigan schools. The report is the culmination of a series of public hearings throughout the state and a year-long examination of disparities in K-12 education in Michigan.
Flint Water Crisis
After a year-long investigation, three public hearings, testimony of more than 150 residents, community leaders, experts, academics and government officials, the Michigan Civil Rights Commission finds that race and racism played a significant role in causing the Flint water crisis, and all races were victims.
Read the full Commission report, "The Flint Water Crisis: Systemic Racism Through the Lens of Flint" here and the Executive Summary and Recommendations here.
Public Comments on Scope of Sex Discrimination - ELCRA
- Public Comments - ELCRA
At the July 24, 2017 meeting of the Michigan Civil Rights Commission, Equality Michigan (EQMI) asked the Commission to issue an interpretive statement to clarify that the prohibition against sex discrimination in the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act (ELCRA) includes protection against discrimination on the basis of gender identity and sexual orientation.
The Commission accepted public comments on the EQMI request from July 25 through August 15, 2017, which are accessible here.