About The Commission
The Michigan Civil Rights Commission was created by the Michigan Constitution of 1963 to carry out the guarantees against discrimination articulated in Article I, Section 2. As further stated in Article V, Section 29, the state constitution directs the Commission to investigate alleged discrimination against any person because of religion, race, color or national origin and to "secure the equal protection of such civil rights without such discrimination". Public Acts 453 and 220 of 1976 and subsequent amendments have added sex, age, marital status, height, weight, arrest record, and physical and mental disabilities to the original four protected categories.
Vice Chair: Stacie Clayton
MCRC Hearings on Discrimination in Michigan's K-12 Schools
Flint Water Crisis
After a year-long investigation, three public hearings, testimony of more than 150 residents, community leaders, experts, academics and government officials, the Michigan Civil Rights Commission finds that race and racism played a significant role in causing the Flint water crisis, and all races were victims.
Read the full Commission report, "The Flint Water Crisis: Systemic Racism Through the Lens of Flint" here and the Executive Summary and Recommendations here.
Public Comments on Scope of Sex Discrimination - ELCRA
At the July 24 meeting of the Michigan Civil Rights Commission, Equality Michigan (EQMI) asked the Commission to issue an interpretive statement to clarify that the prohibition against sex discrimination in the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act (ELCRA) includes protection against discrimination on the basis of gender identity and sexual orientation.
The Commission accepted public comments on the EQMI request from July 25 through August 15, 2017, which are accessible below. The Commission will address the request at their September 18 meeting in Lansing.
- July 25-29 Comments
- July 30-August 5 Comments
- August 7-10 Comments
- August 10-12 Comments
- August 13-14 Comments
- August 15 Comments
- ACLU Correspondence Regarding MCRC Interpretive Statement
- EQMI Supplemental Information & Comment
- Great Lakes Justice Center - On Behalf of Senate Republicans
- Comment from Rep. Hoadley and House Democrats
- Comment from Michigan Senate Democrats
Commission Meeting Notices
- Public Notice - November 18, 2019 Civil Rights Commission Meeting
- Public Notice - July 29, 2019 Civil Rights Commission Special Meeting
- Public Notice - March 25, 2019 Civil Rights Commission Meeting
- Public Notice - February 1, 2019 Civil Rights Commission Meeting
- **POSTPONED** Public Notice - January 28, 2019 Civil Rights Commission Meeting