Skip to main content

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

A photos of multiple American flags.

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant provides undergraduate tuition assistance to students older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who are the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. The veteran must have died or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of military service.


Veteran must:

  • Have been a legal resident of Michigan immediately before entering military service and did not later reside outside of Michigan for more than two years; or the veteran must have established legal residency in Michigan after entering military service.
  • Have been killed in action or died from another cause while serving in a war or war condition in which the United States of America was or is participating; or,
  • Have died or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of a service-connected illness or injury as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; or,
  • Have been totally and permanently disabled as a result of a service-connected illness or injury prior to death and has now died; or,
  • Be listed as Missing in Action (MIA) in a foreign country as determined by the U.S. government.

Student must:

  • Enroll at least half-time.
  • Apply and receive benefits prior to age 26.
  • Be a Michigan resident for one year prior to program application.
    • If a dependent student, parent must also be a Michigan resident.
  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or approved refugee.
  • Not have been convicted of a felony involving an assault, physical injury, or death.
  • For renewal, maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.25.
  • For renewal, must meet institution’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.
  • Not be in default on a Federal student loan.

Application Process

An application is required and can be completed through the MiSSG Student Portal

  • 2023-24 Application Deadline: July 15, 2024

In addition to the CVTG application, the following documents must also be submitted:

  • Applicant’s (child’s) birth certificate (must list parents’ names).
  • Veteran’s discharge certificate or separation document (DD Form 214 or Casualty Report).
  • Veteran’s death certificate or casualty report.
  • Proof of total and permanent disability or death due to service-incurred causes.
  • Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The first institution listed on the FAFSA will be considered the priority school. Students are responsible for notifying MI Student Aid of a change in their college choice. This can be done through the MiSSG Student Portal or by calling 888-447-2687.

Program Limits

Undergraduate students may receive scholarship assistance for up to four academic years and a total of up to $11,200 (whichever comes first). Future awards are subject to available and approved funding.

Participating Institutions

Michigan community college, public university or independent, degree-granting college or university.

Award Amount

Awards are for an academic year with the amount determined by the student’s enrollment status.

  • Full-time students can receive up to a maximum of $2,800 per academic year.
  • Three-quarter time students up to $2,100.
  • Half-time students up to $1,400 or an amount equal to all of the student’s eligible tuition in that academic year, whichever is less.

Additional Resources

Public Act 248 of 2005