The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Michigan Tuition Grant
The Michigan Tuition Grant is available to undergraduate Michigan residents with financial need who plan to attend or are attending a Michigan degree-granting, non-profit independent college.
- Student must demonstrate financial need.
- Enroll at least half-time.
- Possess a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent.
- Be a Michigan resident since July 1 of the previous calendar year. For dependent students, parent must also be a Michigan resident since July 1 of the previous calendar year.
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or approved refugee.
- For renewal, must meet institution’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.
- Not be incarcerated.
- Cannot be enrolled in a course of study leading to a degree in theology, divinity, or religious education.
- Not be in default on a Federal student loan.
Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1.
The first institution listed on the FAFSA will be considered the priority school. Students are responsible for notifying MI Student Aid of a change in their college choice. This can be done through the MiSSG Student Portal or by calling 1-888-447-2687.
The Federal processors must receive the FASFA by March 1 each year.
Awards are restricted to tuition and mandatory fees.
Program eligibility ends when a student has exhausted their check counts (a method used to monitor MTG usage). Each student will have a starting pool of 60 check counts (the equivalent of 10 full-time semesters/terms).
Institutions are limited to $5 million in MTG payments per academic year and are responsible for identifying who of their eligible students may be awarded MTG.
Future awards are subject to available and approved funding.
Michigan degree-granting, non-profit independent college.
Awards pay up to a maximum of $3,000 per academic year.
Public Act 313 of 1966.
MI Student Aid, 1-888-447-2687, email@example.com.
Forms and Information
- MTG Fact Sheet
- Affording College in Michigan Guidebook
- MI Student Aid Programs at a Glance
- MiSSG Student Portal