Integrated Resource Plan (Diversity, Filing Requirements, Demand Response Study, Energy Waste Reduction Study)
Notice: MI Power Grid meetings and all other MPSC workgroup meetings will be conducted via teleconference only until further notice. Please find remote access information for upcoming meetings on our calendar of events. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Activities for this workgroup have not yet commenced. If you wish to be notified when this workgroup becomes active, please be sure to subscribe to the listserv below.
Electric utilities are required to file plans every five years with the Commission that look at anticipated customer electricity needs over the next 5, 10, and 15 years as well as the appropriate mix of resources to serve those needs, including power plants, renewable energy, energy waste reduction, demand response, and customer-owned resources. The MPSC establishes parameters and filing requirements for utility integrated resource plans and conducts studies on achievable levels of energy waste reduction and demand response.
Actions to Date
- Established initial Integrated Resource Plan parameters and filing requirements in 2017 (U-18418, U-18461)
- Conducted Energy Waste Reduction and Demand Response potential studies in 2017
- Statewide Energy Assessment recommends utilities work with Staff and stakeholders to propose a methodology to quantify the value of generation diversity in integrated resource plans (U-20464 – Recommendation E-6)
- Ongoing integrated resource plan cases
- Staff will convene stakeholder workgroups to:
- Evaluate value of generation diversity in order to incorporate into integrated resource plan review
- Update integrated resource plan filing requirements/parameters consistent with integrated planning, value of diversity findings
- Update Demand Response Potential Study
- Update Energy Waste Reduction Potential Study
Related MPSC Case(s)
Sign up for Advanced Planning Process updates