The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
New Technologies and Business Models
Notice: MI Power Grid meetings and all other MPSC workgroup meetings will be conducted via teleconference only until further notice. Please find remote access information for upcoming meetings on our calendar of events.
A number of new technologies and business models are quickly becoming commercialized, expanding options and providing new opportunities to control costs while also posing unique challenges. Fast-growing commercially available technologies include electric vehicles and battery (and other) storage at both distribution and utility scale, while other technologies are still in development but may soon be commercially viable at competitive prices.
Actions to Date
On October 29, 2020, the Commission order in Case No. U-20898 established the New Technologies and Business Models workgroup.
The order details initial topics as well as questions of interest it envisions the workgroup will explore. See here for tasks and draft timeline.
- Technical collaborative at MPSC (U-18368)
- Decisions for Consumers Energy (U-20134), DTE Electric (U-20162), and Indiana Michigan Power (U-20282)
- Michigan Agency for Energy "Plugging Into Storage" symposium and Report to the Legislature
Next StepsStaff will stay current on Michigan utility efforts regarding new technologies and business models.
Staff Report Timeline
- June 2021: Draft technology specific barriers and solution tables
Behind the Meter and Community Solar
Combined Heat and Power
- August 2021: Draft Staff report distributed to stakeholders
- October 4, 2021: Comments on Draft Staff report due
- December 1, 2021: Final Staff report filed to docket
- January 12, 2022: Revised Final Staff report filed to docket
- ABATE - October 4
- Abrams Environmental Law Clinic and Soludarity - October 4
- Adam Schaller - October 4
- Armada Power - October 4
- Bloom Energy - October 4
- Clean Energy Works - October 4
- Consumers Energy - October 4
- Dandelion Energy - October 4
- DTE Electric - October 4
- JCEO - October 4
- MEGA - October 4
- MEO - October 4
- Michigan EIBC & AEE - October 4
- Abrams Environmental Law Clinic and Souladarity - July 20
- DTE - June 23
- Consumers Energy - June 18
- ABATE - Jan 31
- Miner - Jan 22