The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Interconnection Standards and Worker Safety
Notice: MI Power Grid meetings and all other MPSC workgroup meetings will be conducted via teleconference only until further notice. Please find remote access information for upcoming meetings on our calendar of events.
Interconnection standards are rules that spell out how projects owned by customers or developers connect to the utility system. These rules provide a standardized process and schedule so that interconnections can be accommodated in an orderly and timely manner. The rules also ensure that interconnections are done safely, in order to protect workers, utility and third-party owned equipment, and the public.
Actions to Date
- On October 5, 2022, the Commission issued an order in case No. U-20890 approving the MPSC Interconnection and Distributed Generation (MIXDG Rules) and providing their submission to the Legislative Service Bureau and the Michigan Office of Adminstrative Hearing and Rules for their formal approvals.
- On May 26, 2022, the Commission issued an order in case No. U-20890 providing information on how to participate in a second public hearing and provide written comments on the proposed Interconnection and Distributed Generation Standards (MIXDG Rules). The proposed MIXDG Rules are attached to the order.
- On May 12, 2022, The Commission issued an order in Case No. U-20890 granting rehearing and stating that it intends to provide members of the public with a second opportunity to comment on the proposed Interconnection and Distributed Generation Standards (MIXDG Rules).The Commission intends to issue an order on May 26, 2022, providing information on how to participate in a second public hearing and provide written comments. The rules previously approved by the Commission are attached to the order issued March 17, 2022 in Case No. U-20890.
- On March 17, 2022, The Commission issued an order in Case No. U-20890 approving the MPSC Interconnection and Distributed Generation (MIXDG Rules) and providing for their submission to the legislative Service Bureau and the Michigan Office of Administrative Hearings and Rules for their formal approvals.
- On March 3, 2022, an order was issued in Case No. U-21117 to set the new dates of April 14, 2022 and May 17, 2022 for the electric utility interconnection procedures collaborative.
- The Public Hearing to receive public comments on the proposed rules was held on Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 9 am in the Lake Michigan Hearing Room at the Michigan Public Service Commission Offices. The public hearing was also be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Comments on the proposed rules could be made at the hearing or by mail or electronic mail as further described in the Notice of Public Hearing.
- On September 9, 2021, a related order was issued in Case No. U-21117 to commence a collaborative for the development of electric utility interconnection procedures.
- Commission Staff have prepared interconnection process flow charts to help describe some of the processes included in the proposed rules.
Fast Track Supplemental Review
Study Track Individual Processing
- On September 9, 2021 the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-20890 for providing an opportunity for public comment on the proposed MIXDG (M for Michigan, IX for Interconnection, and DG for the distributed generation portion of the rules) at a public hearing on October 20, 2021. Written comments may be submitted until 5:00 p.m. on November 1, 2021. More details are provided in the order.
Staff's first draft issued August 28, 2019 draft proposed ruleset.
- Stakeholder comments received on September 30, 2019 | ABATE | Circle Power Letter | Circle Power | Consumers Energy Letter | Consumers Energy | Doug Houseman | DTE Energy Letter | DTE Energy | Ecology Center/ELPC/Vote Solar Letter | Ecology Center/ELPC/Vote Solar | MECA | MEGA | MIEIBC | Next Era | Pine Gate Renewables | Power Home | Xcel
- Statewide Energy Assessment Review (U-20464 - Recommendation E-4)
Second draft issued February 28, 2020 Draft Interconnection DGLNM LEO Rules- Written comments are requested by the end of the day on Friday, May 1, 2020. Please email your comments and redlined rules documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. All comments and redlined rules documents will be posted on each stakeholder website.
- Commission Staff's second draft issued February 28, 2020 Draft Interconnection DGLNM LEO Rules
- Stakeholder comments received on May 1, 2020 | Consumers 1 | Consumers 2 | Consumers 3 | DTE Energy 1 | DTE Energy 2 | DTE Energy 3 | EIBC 1 | EIBC 2 | EIBC 3 | ELPC 1 | ELPC 2 | Energy Storage Association | MEGA 1 | MEGA 2 | MI Conservative | NextEra | Pine Gate 1 | Pine Gate 2
- The rulemaking process for the proposed Interconnection and Distributed Generation Standards(MIXDG Rules - M for Michigan, IX for interconnection, and DG for the distributed generation portion of the rules) has reached the point where a Notice of Public Hearing, scheduled for October 20, 2021, has been approved.
- The Commission issued an order in Case No. U-20344 directing Commission Staff to initiate a stakeholder process with the purpose of gathering input to assist Commission Staff with updating the Commission's Electric Interconnection and Net Metering Standards. (R 460.601a - R 460.656) The Standards are applicable to all rate-regulated and cooperative utilities and last revised in 2009.
The order directs Commission Staff to consider interconnection request procedures, timelines and queue management; required interconnection studies; cost responsibility; safety and technical specifications. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's (FERC) small generator interconnection procedures, FERC Order 841 issued on February 15, 2018 related to energy storage facilities, microgrids, IEEE 1547-2018 standards, and best practices among states should be considered.
- Interested parties and stakeholders are invited to participate in a second public hearing on the proposed MIXDG Rules on June, 22, 2022 and provide written comments by June 22, 2022.
- Establish utility-specific procedures to implement interconnection rules.
Interconnection Stakeholder Sessions
April 14, 2022 (TELECONFERENCE ONLY)
Agenda | MPSC Staff Presentation | MECA Presentation | MEGA Presentation | Consumers Energy Presentation | Consumers Energy Draft Procedures | DTE Draft Procedures | MECA Draft Procedures | MEGA Draft Procedures | Meeting Recording
March 24, 2020 (TELECONFERENCE ONLY)
Agenda | MPSC Staff Presentation | Meeting Recording
August 28, 2019
Agenda | Staff Presentation | Combined Draft Interconnection Distributed Generation and Legally Enforceable Obligation Rules
July 16, 2019
June 20, 2019
Agenda | Interconnection Discussion Questions June 20 | CCR Comments to DTE | CCR Comments to CE | Staff Rules and Procedures Split | CE Discussion
May 30, 2019
Agenda | Queue Discussion Questions | Consumers Energy Queuing | Consumers Energy Redline | CCR Queue Comments | CCR Comments Section 5 | EIBC Comments | EIBC Redline | ELPC Redline | Nakafuji - The Future Grid | DTE Redline
May 6, 2019
Agenda | EIBC Reply Comments | EIBC Comments | CCR Reply to Consumers | CCR Comments | CCR Reply to DTE | DTE Presentation | DTE Comments | Consumers Energy Redline | Consumers Energy Presentation
March 19, 2019
Agenda | MI EIBC Comments Section 4 | MPSC Staff Presentation | Babak Enayati IEEE 1547 | Cypress Creek Letter | Cypress Creek Comments | Vote Solar Comments | I&M Redline | DTE Redline | DTE Presentation | ABATE Comments | Consumers Energy Redline | Consumers Energy Presentation
February 19, 2019
Agenda | MN DIP Workflow | CCR Comments to redline provided by Consumer and DTE | CCR Comments on Consumers Energy Comments | CCR Comments on DTE Comments | Vote Solar and ELPC Comments | Cypress Creek Comments | EIBC Comments | Solar Wind Comments | MEGA Comments | DTE Electric Comments | DTE Electric Presentation | Consumers Energy Comments | Consumers Energy Presentation | MI Biomass Comments and Redline
January 10, 2019
Agenda | MPSC Interconnection Docs | NREL Presentation | Cypress Creek Comments | Consumers Energy Comments | Consumers Energy Comment Presentation | MI EIBC Comments | MEGA Comments | Doug Houseman Comments | DTE General Comments | MECA Comments | DTE Comments
December 7, 2018
Agenda | MPSC Rulemaking | Stakeholder Process | Minnesota Interconnection Overview
Related MPSC Case(s)
Combined Draft Interconnection Distributed Generation and Legally Enforceable Obligation Rules
MN Technical Interconnection and Interoperability Requirements
NREL Pre-Application Report Evaluation
NREL DER Interconnection Overview
November 8, 2018 U-20344 Order Initiating Interconnection Rulemaking Process
Electric Interconnection and Net Metering Standards
FERC Small Generator Interconnection Procedures
Minnesota Distributed Energy Resources Interconnection Process 2.3
Minnesota Distributed Energy Resources Interconnection Agreement 2.3
Category 1 Generator Interconnection Procedures
Category 2 Generator Interconnection Procedures
Interconnection and Parallel Operating Agreements for Projects up to 150kW