The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Notice: MI Power Grid meetings and all other MPSC workgroup meetings will be conducted via teleconference only until further notice. Please find remote access information for upcoming meetings on our calendar of events.
Customers enrolled in demand response programs may be called upon to shift electricity consumption away from times of peak usage when electricity costs more to produce. These customers benefit through a lower rate. Demand response can also be a useful tool to avoid emergency situations where customer usage is expected to exceed available generation supply.
Third party demand response aggregation is a topic that the Commission has addressed through several Orders since 2016, and it was the topic of a series of stakeholder meetings in 2019. The Commission has reopened U-20348 in October 2020 for the purpose of accepting comments and reviewing the current demand response aggregation ban on the remaining MPSC-jurisdictional utility customers.
Actions to Date
- Demand Response Potential Study
- Demand Response Framework (U-18369)
- Integrated Resource Plans (Consumers Energy Integrated Resource Plan U-20165)
- Rate Cases/Demand Response Reconciliation Cases (Consumers Energy Reconciliation U-20164)
- Demand Response Wholesale Aggregation Workgroup (U-20348)
- Demand Response Public Act 342 Implementation Workgroup
- Statewide Energy Assessment Review (U-20464 - Recommendation E-1)
- Continue to monitor demand response wholesale aggregation
- Including U-20348 and any Commission action in that docket
May 19, 2020 (TELECONFERENCE ONLY)
MI Power Grid Demand Response Stakeholder Sessions
April 28, 2020 (TELECONFERENCE ONLY)
March 17, 2020 (TELECONFERENCE ONLY)
February 19, 2020
January 16, 2020
Demand Response Aggregation (U-20348)
MI Power Grid - Demand Response (U-20628)
- Staff Report
- 2-19 Panel Solutions
- Interruptible Tariff Comparison
- Interruptible Tariff Compilation
Related MPSC Case(s)
- U-20628 (Demand Response Tariffs)
- U-20471 (DTE Integrated Resource Plan)
- U-20350 (UPPCO Integrated Resource Plan)
- U-20563 (CE Demand Response Reconciliation)
- U-20521 (DTE Demand Response Reconciliation)