The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Get Ready to Retire webinar
Congratulations! You’re getting close to retirement. Register for the Get Ready to Retire webinar. The webinar was created for State of Michigan employees and is presented by Voya Financial’s Michigan-based education team.
ORS retirement application forms
Check out the three forms you should read and the three forms you should complete and send to the Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) three months before you retire.
Call ORS at 800-381-5111 for questions about applying for retiree health, dental, vision and prescription drug insurance, and naming your life insurance beneficiaries.
Nearing Retirement Resources
Explore these links to get everything you need to know as you start your journey with us.
The Michigan Office of Retirement Services partners with Voya to offer your Defined Contribution (DC) Plan and help you save for retirement within the Plans.
Learn about the key features of your retirement plan. Find the Plan Highlights e-book that’s right for you.
- Defined Contribution (DC) — Personal Healthcare Fund.
- Defined Contribution (DC) — Subsidized Retiree Insurances.
Not sure which plan you’re in? Use this chart to find your state employee retirement plan and your Plan Highlights e-book.
View the 401(k) and 457 Plans forms.
View the 401(k) and 457 Plans publications.
View the Voya newsletter for State of Michigan 401(k) and 457 Plans participants.
Register for a Voya webinar presented by Voya’s Michigan-based education team.
Call Voya at 800-748-6128 to:
- Speak with a Voya representative.
- Report the death of a Plans participant.
Michigan Civil Service Commission
While you’re actively working, the Civil Service is your resource for information on active employee benefits other than the DC retirement plan.
Visit the Civil Service’s website for information about your active employee benefits.
Visit the HR Gateway and log in to HR Self-Service to view your earnings statement, verify your total hours and annual leave, and update your life insurance beneficiary.
Learn about health insurance benefits in retirement.
Call the MI HR Service Center at 800-766-6447 to:
- Ask questions about your active employee benefits.
- Ask about converting your active life insurance to a higher benefit amount when you retire.
- Report the death of a State of Michigan employee.
Michigan Office of Retirement Services
The Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) administers retirement programs for Michigan’s state employees.
Apply for active-duty military service credit.
Call ORS at 800-381-5111 to:
- Request a DC disability retirement packet and apply for retirement based on disability.
- Ask questions about applying for retiree health, dental, and vision, and prescription drug insurance, and naming beneficiaries for your retiree life insurance benefit.
- Request your DC retirement packet or print the documents in the Nearing Retirement section of our Forms and Publications page.
- Report the death of a DC Plans participant.
Social Security basics
Explore Social Security benefits and how they can affect your retirement income with the Understand the Basics of Social Security video from Voya Learns.
The Michigan Office of Retirement Services produces the quarterly Proactive newsletter for State of Michigan employees who are Plans participants.
As a Plans participant, prepare for your future by signing up for a virtual one-on-one appointment with a representative from Voya’s Michigan-based education team.
Learn about the steps needed in planning for retirement with the Getting Started video from the Voya Learns Nearing Retirement series.
Created for Plans participants, sign up for webinars presented by members of Voya’s Michigan-based education team.