How to become licensed as a Resident Producer
We strongly recommend you review the information on the following web pages before submitting an application for licensure in Michigan:
Insurance Producer - If a background information question is answered "yes"
Guiding Principles for Michigan Insurance Producer Licensure
To request a Resident Producer license in Michigan:
- File an Electronic Resident Licensing (ERL) application through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) website. The license application fee is $10.00 plus a $5.00 transaction fee. An application is valid for 180 days from entry into our database.
- The NIPR "Help" web page includes User Guides and Walk-Throughs as well as a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Index. For additional questions relating to electronic application submission, contact NIPR Customer Service at 855-674-6477.
- Complete the required Pre-licensing Education (PE) coursework from a Michigan-approved PE provider prior to taking an examination.
- PE requirements may be met by completing an approved 20-hour classroom course or completing an approved self-study course.
- Upon completing the required PE program, applicants will be issued a Course Completion Certificate for each line of authority completed. The certificate is valid for 12 months from the completion date and the corresponding examination must be successfully completed during this 12-month period.
- The PE Course Completion Certificate should not be taken to the examination site. PE course completion information is sent to our office by the PE provider as an electronic file. The information populates the application in our database and will be matched to the examination score.
- Successfully complete a Michigan licensing examination. If an examination is not passed within 180 days, the applicant must submit a new license application and fee on the NIPR website and reschedule their examination.
The DIFS Insurance Pre-licensing Education FAQ's web page provides details regarding PE coursework requirements.
The DIFS Examination Information web page provides details regarding the examination process.