The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Our Strong Start
Our Strong Start
Changing the Future One Child at a Time
Our Strong Start (OSS) is part of the Caring for MI Future. OSS is focused on recruiting new child care entrepreneurs and helping current child care businesses expand. A team of trained navigators will work with potential child care entrepreneurs to troubleshoot any concerns they may have about starting or expanding their child care business. OSS is here to help new entrepreneurs or expanding child care business owners navigate valuable tool kits, trainings, and other informative resources to meet their goals.
Caring for MI Future
Caring for MI Future is a statewide effort to help child care entrepreneurs open 1,000 new or expanded child care programs by the end of 2024. This initiative, led by the Michigan Department of Lifelong Education, Advancement, and Potential (MiLEAP) is focusing on what entrepreneurs need most to open and expand child care businesses—help finding and renovating space, startup funding, help recruiting staff, and support creating a business plan.
Starting a Child Care Business
Make a difference in children’s futures and in the future of Michigan by becoming a child care entrepreneur or expanding your child care business. Learn more about becoming a child care entrepreneur and how to start or expand your child care business.
Choosing the Right License: There are three different types of Child Care licenses.
The State of Michigan has partnered with Wonderschool to help you launch or expand your child care business. Whether you need business support, resource toolkits, a robust and comprehensive business plan, coaching for existing child care business or how to launch and grow your business.
Wonderschool Academy and Child Care Toolkits can help you learn the basics for starting your own child care program.
Refer a Friend to Start or Grow Their Small Child Care Program with Wonderschool and earn up to $500.
Do you know someone who is interested in opening their own small child care program or expanding their current child care program? We'd love to chat with them about how Wonderschool can help them navigate the process and provide grant technical assistance at absolutely no cost to them.
Start or Grow Your Own Child Care Program in Michigan!
Join an upcoming 8-week Wonderschool Academy cohort to receive:
- Training on business basics, the licensing process, marketing, and more
- Professional development hours in MiRegistry
- Customized professional website
- Tech tools to run your business like billing and a parent communication app
- Access to l:l coaching
- A space to build community with peers and experts
Applying for a Child Care License
Thinking About Opening or Expanding Your Child Care Business?
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Before applying for a Child Care license, you’ll need to find a location, check local zoning requirements (child care centers and group child care only). Consult the Resource Guide to Licensure for more details.
- Go to michigan.gov/michildcare to start your online application. You’ll need to pay a non-refundable application fee based on the capacity of your child care business.
- Prior to submitting your online application, you must review the licensing rules for Family, Group and Centers and the Child Care Organization Act for more details.
- Once you’ve submitted your completed application, the process typically takes 3 to 6 months for a home license and up to 6 months for a center license.
- OSS Navigator Map
- Resource Guide to Licensure
- Licensing Rules for Family and Group Child Care Homes
- Licensing Rules for Child Care Centers - Amended 2/22/2022
- Michigan Legislature - Act 116 of 1973
- Michigan Legislature - Act 116 of 1973 - Spanish
- Application -Apply or Renew
- CCHIRP Resources
- FAQs for Child Care Background Check
- For additional information, visit the Child Care Background Check Website
- Tribal Program Additions
- LARA Corporation Online Filing System
- EIN – IRS