The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Tuition Incentive Program
The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) encourages eligible Medicaid recipients to complete high school by providing tuition assistance during an eligible student’s qualifying certificate or associate degree program and also during the student’s bachelor’s degree program.
These two periods of assistance are referred to as ‘Phase I’ and ‘Phase II'.
- Student must have (or have had) Medicaid coverage for 24 months within a 36 month period between the ages of nine and high school graduation.
- Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Obtain a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent prior to age 20.
- Students who attend a state-approved Early/Middle College have until age 21 to complete high school or its recognized equivalent.
- Begin using TIP at a participating institution within four years of high school completion.
- Be a Michigan resident as determined by institutional criteria.
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or approved refugee.
- Not be in default on a Federal student loan.
- Be enrolled at least half-time.
- For renewal, must meet institution’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.
Note: The first institution listed on the FAFSA will be considered the priority school. Students are responsible for notifying MI Student Aid of a change in their college choice. This can be done through the MiSSG Student Portal or by calling 1-888-447-2687.
All program eligibility expires ten years after initial enrollment. Current and future awards are subject to available and approved funding.
TIP Phase I provides tuition assistance to eligible students enrolled in a certificate or associate degree program and taking classes within the program of study.
TIP Phase II provides tuition assistance to eligible students who have a certificate, associate degree, or 56 transferrable semester credits.
Public Act 124 of 1987.
MI Student Aid, 1-888-447-2687, email@example.com.