Provisions in 2016 PA 341 Sec. 6w require all electric providers to demonstrate to the MPSC that they have enough resources to serve the anticipated needs of their customers.
- Commission order adopts findings and recommendations contained in the Staff reports and opens a new docket for the receipt of 2019 capacty demonstration filings.
- Staff issued a supplemental report and recommendations addressing the remaining capacity demonstration filings on March 14, 2018.
- Staff issued a report outlining findings of capacity demonstrations on March 6, 2018
- AES, Co-ops, and Municipally owned electric providers filed capacity demonstrations on or around Feb. 9, 2018
- IOUs filed their capacity demonstrations on December 1, 2017
- Established a process for investor-owned utilities (IOU), alternative energy suppliers, municipal utilities, and co-op utilities
- Three orders issued
- Five stakeholder/technical conferences held
- Save the Date! Staff intends to hold a Capacity Demonstration Technical Conference on July 12, 2018 to discuss process improvements for the capacity demonstration process.
- Local clearing requirements are being determined for the 2022-2023 planning year in a contested case (U-18444)
- SRM capacity charges for each utility’s service territory should be reviewed at least once per year in a contested case concluding by December 1 each year
*If any show cause proceedings are required, they will be initiated before March 9, 2018.
On September 15, 2017, the MPSC issued an order in Case No. U-18197 outlining the format by which all electric providers in Michigan will be required to file their capacity demonstrations for planning years 2018-2021, pursuant to the State Reliability Mechanism as outlined by Section 6w of PA 341 of 2016. Also see the issue brief released by the Commission.
Also on September 15, 2017, the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-18441, opening a docket which will ultimately become the repository for all capacity demonstrations made by electric providers for planning years 2018-2021.
On October 11, 2017, the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-18444 to establish a forward locational requirement that would be applicable starting in the 2022 planning year. Please see docket U-18444 to review the order and press release as well as to participate in the contested case or to follow the case as it progresses.
|July 12, 2018
||Technical Conference Agenda
|May 17, 2018
||U-18441 Commission Order
|March 14, 2018
||U-18441 Staff Supplemental Report and Recommendations
|March 6, 2018
||U-18441 Staff Report and Recommendations
|October 11, 2017
||U-18444 Commission Order
|September 15, 2017
||U-18197 Commission Order
U-18441 Commission Order
|August 1, 2017
|July 17, 2017
||Written Position Summaries
|July 10, 2017
||Technical Conference Agenda
|June 29-30, 2017
Technical Conference Signup
June 29th Technical Conference Agenda | Presentation
June 30th Technical Conference Agenda | Presentation
|June 8, 2017
Technical Conference Agenda
MPSC Staff Presentation | MISO Presentation
|April 26, 2017
||Agenda | Presentation
|April 11, 2017
Task - Related Documents
U-18441 Staff Supplemental Report and Recommendations
U-18441 Staff Report and Recommendations
Capacity Demonstration Frequently Asked Questions
U-18441 and U-18197 Staff Capacity Obligation Memo
U-18441 Capacity Demonstration Reporting Template