Skip to main content

MPSC Gas Customer Choice Program: DTE Gas Company

On December 20, 2001 in Case Number U-13155, the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) approved a permanent gas customer choice program for DTE Gas Company f/k/a Michigan Consolidated Gas Company's natural gas customers, effective April 1, 2002.

The gas customer choice program gives all customers the option to obtain natural gas from an alternative gas supplier of their choice. This means that you, as a residential or business customer have the ability to choose a new supplier. DTE Gas Company will still continue to provide gas distribution service by delivering your gas to your home or business.

If you do not wish to switch to a new supplier your gas service will continue to be provided by DTE Gas Company and the price of your gas supply will be regulated by the MPSC. If you wish to switch to a new supplier the price you pay for your gas supply will be the price the supplier offers and is not regulated by the MPSC.

If you choose to participate in the gas customer choice program you may return to the utility at any time. If you switch back to DTE Gas Company after participating in the gas customer choice program you are required to remain a DTE Gas Company sales customer for 12 months before you can choose a new supplier.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who is eligible to participate in DTE Gas Company's Customer Choice program?
    All residential and business customers are eligible except those whose account is in arrears or who are already transportation customers. Transportation customers must comply with any minimum requirements of those tariffs. Participation in the program is strictly voluntary.
  • If I am on the Budget Billing Payment Plan Option, can I participate?
    Yes. Nothing will change with regards to your budget plan.
  • What if I do not wish to switch to a new supplier?
    That is your choice. If you choose to remain a sales customer of DTE Gas Company the price that you pay for your gas supply will be determined by the MPSC. See current rates.
  • How do I sign up with a new supplier?
    You can sign up via telephone, online or in person. You will need to provide your name, address and DTE Gas Company account number and meter number if you want to sign up with the new supplier. These numbers are on your bill. Your new supplier will then send the information to DTE Gas Company. To avoid unauthorized switching, do not disclose specific account information if you do not want to be switched to a new supplier.
  • Is there a sign up period?
    No. You may enroll at any time.
  • How can I find out which suppliers are participating in the program?
    See Supplier/Marketer Contacts page for a list of suppliers that are licensed with the MPSC.
  • How long will it take to switch to a new supplier?
    Approximately 1-2 billing periods.
  • Can I switch from one supplier to another?
    Yes, you can switch to another supplier at any time. However, be sure to ask your current supplier if there is a fee for early termination. When you enroll with a new supplier you will automatically be canceled with your old supplier and may be responsible for an early termination fee at that time. You can switch back to DTE Gas Company's sales service at any time, but must remain with them for the following 12 months. DTE may charge a $10 switching fee if you change suppliers more than once in a 12 month period.
  • How do I cancel my contract?
    You must contact the supplier to cancel your contract but please be aware of any early termination fees that may apply. The MPSC does not regulate the supplier and therefore cannot cancel or change contracts.
  • Do I have to pay a fee if I switch suppliers?
    There is no fee for your original enrollment and you are also allowed to switch once each year without a fee. A utility fee of $10 will be charged for additional switches during that time. Your supplier may charge an early termination fee if you leave before the end of your contract period. You should review the terms and conditions of your contract with your new supplier.
  • Does the MPSC regulate the rates of the suppliers participating in the program?
    No, the rates offered by suppliers are not regulated or approved by the MPSC. It is up to you to determine if a supplier meets your needs. Be sure you understand the terms of the contract and the price you will pay. If you have questions or problems concerning your gas supply, you must contact the supplier. See Supplier/Marketer Contacts page.
  • Who will deliver the gas to my home?
    DTE Gas Company will continue to deliver gas to your home. You will not need a new service line or meter if you choose a new supplier. If you are a residential customer, your delivery (distribution) cost and monthly customer charge are the same as a DTE Gas Company Sales customer.
  • If I choose an alternative supplier to purchase gas on my behalf, do I pay my utility any charges?
    Yes, you would pay the utility delivery charges that you have always paid. These charges consist of the Monthly Customer Charge and the Distribution Charge. The amount you agree to pay your supplier for the gas they purchased for you will be billed and collected by DTE Gas Company and they will pay your supplier.
  • Will I continue to pay sales tax if I switch suppliers?
    Yes. If you are a residential customer your bill will include a 4% sales tax (plus 5% Detroit tax where applicable) on the total bill. If you are a business customer, the rate is 6% (plus 5% Detroit tax where applicable).
  • Who do I call if I smell gas?
    If you smell gas, have a service emergency or have a billing dispute you will still call DTE Gas Company for help.
  • Who do I call if I have a billing dispute?
    DTE Gas Company will continue to read your meter and send you a bill for their delivery service and the gas you purchased from your supplier. Call your supplier if you have any questions concerning your gas charges. If you have questions concerning your customer charge or distribution charges, you will still call DTE Gas Company.
  • What can I do if I can't get my problem resolved through DTE Gas Company or the supplier?
    If you have not received a satisfactory response from your gas utility or your new supplier, inquire or complain to the staff of the MPSC (at under Consumer Information).