The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Proving Your Age
Proving Your Age
Applying for Retirement
You must furnish proof that includes your date of birth or age and proof of age for anyone covered on your insurance. Acceptable proofs, in order of preference, are shown here. Send photocopies. Do not mail in original documents; they will not be returned.
Preferred Proof of Age
- Birth certificate.
- Church baptismal record established during the first few years of your life.
- Valid U.S. passport book or card.
- Delayed birth certificate.
- Social Security documentation. If none of the above is available and you have applied for a Social Security benefit and documented your date of birth, a statement from the Social Security Administration is sufficient. This statement must include your date of birth and explain that you have filed sufficient documentation to establish your date of birth.
Alternate Proof of Age
If you do not have the preferred proof of age, submit photocopies of at least two of the following documents. In addition to your date of birth or age, these documents should include an issue date. Records established early in life are preferred.
- School record.
- Church record.
- State or federal census record.
- Statement signed by physician or midwife who attended the birth.
- Family bible or other family record.
- Insurance policy.
- Marriage record.
- Employment record.
- Military record.
- Child's birth certificate that shows age of parent.
- Other records such as a hospital treatment record, labor union or fraternal record, permits, or licenses.
- Hospital birth record.
If you were born in a foreign country, you may submit a photocopy of any of the items above, or one of the following:
- Valid foreign passport.
- Immigration record established upon arrival in the United States.
- Naturalization record (citizenship paper).
- Alien registration card.