Skip to main content

Applying for Retirement

Front of Michigan Hall of Justice
Michigan Office of Retirement Services

Applying for Retirement

Applying for Retirement

Information about insurance, taxes, and direct deposit is provided to you during the application process. You should submit your retirement application forms to the Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) between 30 and 90 days before your retirement effective date. In order for your first pension payment to be issued in the month of your retirement effective date, we must receive your application at least 30 days before your retirement effective date. Pension payments will not be made retroactively.

Note: Don't forget to notify the State Court Administrative Office regarding your termination.


What you will need:

ORS cannot process your retirement until you submit a complete, error-free application, consisting of the following documents:

  • Judges Retirement Application (R0169B).

  • Income Tax Withholding Authorization (R0012X).
    Use this to change the federal and Michigan income tax withholding on your retirement pension.

  • Direct Deposit Application (R0277X).
    You may update your direct deposit information by logging in to miAccount or contacting us to have a form mailed to your home address.

  • Insurance Enrollment/Change Request (R0452B).
    Use this form to enroll in one or more of the retirement system's insurance plans, change from one health plan to another, or add, delete, or change a name for anyone on your existing insurance coverage. Also use this form to notify ORS if you, your spouse, or any of your covered dependents become eligible for Medicare or other health, dental, vision, or prescription group insurance coverage.

  • Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation (R0782GHB).
    If applicable: Use this form if you want to designate a different beneficiary from any previous beneficiaries. This form must be notarized.


You'll also need to provide the following:

  • Proof of marriage. To name your spouse as pension beneficiary and/or enroll them in your insurances, you must provide a copy of your government-issued marriage certificate.

  • Proof of age. See Proving Your Age for the list of proofs we can accept. If you elect a survivor option, you will also need to furnish proof of your beneficiary's age.

  • Proof of dependent's insurance eligibility. If you enroll dependents under your insurance plan, you must provide photocopies of birth certificates as proof of age and relationship; court orders to prove legal guardianship; and to prove legal adoption during adoption proceedings, a sworn statement with the date of placement or a court order verifying placement is required. For any child aged 19 or older, we will also need tax returns as proof of dependency and school records to prove the child is enrolled at least half time in an accredited educational institution. 

    If your dependent is a disabled child aged 19 or older, we'll also need a current letter from the attending physician stating the child is totally and permanently disabled and incapable of self-sustaining employment, along with any medical records or reports that substantiate the disability and confirm the child became disabled before age 19. In addition, every year you may be asked to furnish proof of disability and proof of dependency.

  • Insurance information. For anyone covered under another plan, including Medicare, who is enrolling in health insurances, include that plan's information as requested on the retirement application.
Note: Write your name on all documents and proofs. Do not mail in original documents; they will not be returned.