Skip to main content

What if I am already enrolled in an associate degree or skill certificate program?

Even if you are currently enrolled in an associate degree or skill certificate program, if you meet all the eligibility requirements and have not completed your associate degree yet, you are eligible to apply for this scholarship.

If it’s been a year or more since your Michigan Reconnect application was accepted, you don’t need to apply again, but you must:

Currently meet the qualifications of the scholarship program:

  • Be at least 21 years old when you apply.
  • Be a Michigan resident for at least 1 year.
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent (ex: GED).
  • Have not yet earned an associate or bachelor's degree.

Complete the three steps required to participate in the scholarship program:

  • Apply to and be admitted to a Michigan public community college
  • File your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Enroll in class in a Pell-eligible skill certificate or an associate degree.
  • Once your FAFSA is on file, your Reconnect application will become active again.

Visit our College Checklist for some assistance on how to complete each of these steps if you need help doing so.

Please note that filing your FAFSA requires a social security number or SSN-like number. If you do not have one, then you will not be able to file your FAFSA and will not be eligible to participate in the scholarship program.

Once your FAFSA is filed, if your FAFSA requires federal verification for issues related to eligibility for Reconnect (e.g., residency, high school completion) and you believe this is incorrect or have questions about this, please contact the community college you attend or plan to attend as soon as possible and ask them about how you can verify this information.