What costs does Reconnect cover?
Costs Reconnect Covers
Reconnect will ensure that when you get your semester bill from the community college, the following items will be free to you:
- In-district tuition - Free
- Mandatory fees (fees charged to all students per semester or per hour) - Free
- Contact hours (extra charges for certain courses and programs) - Free
Reconnect is a last-dollar program. That means that any Pell Grant funds and other state tuition-restricted scholarships or awards you receive are applied to your tuition and fees bill first, with Reconnect paying what's not covered. If you don't qualify for a Pell Grant or other state aid, Reconnect will pay the full cost of in-district tuition, mandatory fees, and contact hours.
The following are not to be subtracted from the calculation of the award:
- The Michigan Education Trust (MET)
- Promise Zones
- Non-tuition restrict gift aid or awards, such as:
- Student loans
- Work study
- Qualified withdrawals from an education savings account
- Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
- Foundation, institutional, and/or private scholarships
Costs Reconnect Does Not Cover
Even as a Reconnect student, you will be responsible for the following items.
- Out of district tuition costs.
- If you are considered 'out-of-district' by the community college you plan to attend, your tuition bill will have an out-of-district tuition charge on it.
- Reconnect only pays the in-district tuition for any of Michigan's public community colleges, so you will be responsible for covering the difference between the in-district and out-of-district tuition rates of the community college you plan to attend if you live out of their district and if you do not have other scholarships or awards to cover the difference.
- Attending a community college you're considered 'in-district' for is the best way to ensure free tuition.
- Application and graduation/commencement fees
- Lab fees and course-specific fees
- Fees not charged to all students (i.e., parking fees, fitness center, athletic fees, non-mandatory fees, etc.)
- Textbooks and other course materials
When applying to a community college, ask them to estimate these costs that are not covered by Reconnect to avoid any surprises when you receive your bill. Also see Are there other costs of going back to school?
If you're not sure for which community college you're considered 'in-district', visit our List of Colleges to contact the community college nearest you. You can find the email and phone number contact to each college on the same page.