Nurse Aide Trainer
In order for an individual to be a certified nurse aide trainer and teach in a nurse aide training program in the State of Michigan, the individual must complete the Nurse Aide Trainer Application and their application must be approved by the state.
Nurse Aide Training Program
- All nurse aide training programs must be approved and certified by the State of Michigan. To become a certified nurse aide training program, the prospective program must follow the State of Michigan Nurse Aide Training Curriculum Model and complete the State of Michigan Nurse Aide Training Program application.
- In a facility applying for a nurse aide training program, the State of Michigan will not approve a program until it has been two years since the assessment of penalties (locked out) under 42 CFR 483.151 (b) (3). Do not apply for a nurse aide training program if you are a facility that does not qualify based on the conditions outlined under the Federal Code.
A facility may request that CMS waive the disapproval (removal of a nurse aide training program) when the facility has been assessed a civil monetary penalty of not less than $5,000 if the civil monetary penalty was not related to the quality of care furnished to residents in the facility.
To Make Changes
To make changes to a nurse aide training program or nurse aide trainer certification, you must complete and submit the respective applications indicating the changes.
Please refer to 42 USC 1395i-3 (f) (2) (C) when considering requesting a waiver of the 2-year "lock-out" prohibition. A nursing home may request a waiver of the 2-year Nurse Aide Training Prohibition by submitting the following information via BCHS-Nurse-Aide-Training-Program@michigan.gov.
- Identify the nursing home name, address and federal CCN (23-XXXX).
- Specify the reason the waiver is being requested and the time period for which it is requested.
- Provide whether the nursing home is currently in substantial compliance with federal certification requirements or whether there is an approved Plan of Correction for any outstanding deficiencies. Please state in the e-mail "Substantial compliance has occurred in the most recent federal survey, xx/xx/xxxx" if applicable.
A request will be reviewed if all of the above information is included. A request may be granted if the following conditions have been met. There must be no other nurse aide training program located within a reasonable distance of your facility (greater than 5 miles).
- Please use the Regional Training Programs listed below to identify nearby active programs.
The last condition is that the Bureau establishes that an adequate environment exists for operating the program in the facility, which can only be done by being in substantial compliance or having an approved Plan of Correction for any outstanding deficiency.
- Also, your program must notify the State long-term care ombudsman of your waiver request.
Within 90 days of receiving the waiver request, the Bureau will either approve or disapprove the waiver, in which case a letter will be sent, or request additional information from the requesting entity.
Regional Training Programs
- Region 1 (Wayne/Oakland/Macomb Counties)
- Region 2 (Genesee/Huron/Lapeer/St. Clair/Sanilac/Tuscola Counties)
- Region 3 (Hillsdale/Jackson/Lenawee/Monroe/Washtenaw Counties)
- Region 4 (Clinton/Eaton/Ingham/Livingston/Shiawassee Counties)
- Region 5 (Berrien/Branch/Calhoun/Cass/Kalamazoo/St. Joseph/Van Buren Counties)
- Region 6 (Allegan/Barry/Ionia/Kent/Montcalm/Muskegon/Ottawa Counties)
- Region 7 (Lake/Mason/Mecosta/Newaygo/Oceana/Osceola Counties)
- Region 8 (Arenac/Bay/Clare/Gladwin/Gratiot/Isabella/Midland/ Saginaw Counties)
- Region 9 (Antrim/Benzie/Charlevoix/Emmett/Grand Traverse/ Kalkaska/Leelanau/Manistee/Missaukee/Wexford Counties)
- Region 10 (Alcona/Alpena/Cheboygan/Crawford/Iosco/Montmorency/ Ogemaw/Oscoda/Otsego/Presque Isle/Roscommon Counties)
- Region 11 (Alger/Chippewa/Delta/Luce/Mackinac/Schoolcraft Counties)
- Region 12 (Baraga/Dickinson/Gogebic/Houghton/Iron/Keweenaw/ Marquette/Menominee/Ontonagon Counties)
Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Community & Health Systems
611 W. Ottawa Street
PO Box 30664
Lansing, MI 48909