The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Health Insurance Open Enrollment: If You Need Health Insurance Coverage in Michigan, Help is Here
This site contains everything you need to know about health insurance, how to get covered, and how to use your coverage to keep yourself and your family healthy.
Open Enrollment for 2022 health insurance ran between November 1, 2021 and January 15, 2022.
Consumers who missed the January 15 deadline for 2022 coverage may still qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if they experience a qualifying life event, such as a birth, job loss, or divorce. In addition, Michiganders who qualify for the state's Medicaid or MIChild programs can apply at any time. For help getting started, and to figure out for which programs they qualify, consumers should visit Healthcare.gov/lower-costs.
Your local agent or assister can help with the application or answer your questions. Find Marketplace help near you by visiting LocalHelp.HealthCare.gov.
When to apply: Open enrollment on the Health Insurance Marketplace ended Jan. 15, 2022.
Special enrollment periods may be available if you've experienced a qualifying life event. Learn more.
For assistance: Visit LocalHelp.HealthCare.gov or call the Marketplace Call Center at 800-318-2596.
Coverage is available through Medicaid and the Healthy Michigan Plan, depending on income and other factors.
When to apply: Any time
For assistance: Visit MI Bridges or call the Michigan Health Care Helpline at 855-789-5610.
Medicare is health insurance for people 65 or older. You're first eligible to sign up for Medicare 3 months before you turn 65 and 3 months after the month you turn 65. There are certain situations where you may be able to sign up for Medicare during a special enrollment period, for example if you lose employer-provided health insurance.
For assistance: Visit Medicare.gov or call the Michigan Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program at 800-803-7174.
Get Answers to Your Questions
Access the health insurance resources below or contact the Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) at 877-999-6442 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For a list of other state and federal agencies that may be able to help with health coverage questions, visit the Important Contact Information webpage.
Mental Health Parity
- Glossary of Health Coverage and Medical Terms
- Employer Group Coverage
- Individual Coverage
- Shopping for a Health Plan
- Costs of Individual Health Plans
- Comprehensive Health Plans - Minimum Essential Coverage
- Limited Benefit Insurance Plans
- Medical Expense Reimbursement Accounts
- Required Coverage
- Paying Medical Bills
- Switching Health Plans
- Filing a Complaint With DIFS
- Appealing a Decision Made by Your Health Insurer
- Insurance Coverage for Contraception in Michigan
- Other Resources
- Enrolling in VA Healthcare
- Medicare Supplement Policies
- Senior Health Insurance Resources
- Michigan Senior Guide to Health Insurance
- Medicare & You 2021
- 2021 Guide to Choosing a Medigap Policy
- Authorized Medicare Supplement Companies
- Long-Term Care Insurance: Is it right for you?
- Michigan Authorized Long-Term Care Companies