Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP)
The Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) is Michigan's state-funded preschool Program for four-year-old children with factors which may place them at risk of educational failure. The program is administered by the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Great Start. Funding is allocated to each intermediate school district to administer the program locally.
Research on preschool programs and specific research on GSRP indicates that children provided with a high-quality preschool experience show significant positive developmental differences when compared to children from the same backgrounds who did not attend a high-quality preschool program.
Parents, for more information on GSRP in your county, click here.
- Interactive Intermediate School District GSRP Map
Click on a county to locate the Intermediate School District
- Social-Emotional Health & School Readiness
- Transition to Kindergarten Parent Guides
- What is the Read by Grade Three law?
- Link to MDE Parents & Family Webpage
- Healthier Child Care Environment Toolkit
GSRP Requirements, Reports, and Resources
Curriculum Approval Process
NEW UPDATE (4/2/19)
In September 2018, the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) announced that it was implementing a new curriculum review process for the state's Great Start to Readiness Program (GSRP). As part of this new process, the MDE created the Curriculum Review Committee, which is charged with reviewing, scoring, and approving GSRP curricula.
Two core curricula were submitted by vendors for consideration. Following individual reviews, the CRC met to develop consensus scores assessing each curricula's alignment with the state's Curriculum Model Evaluation Rubric, which covers five major areas of quality:
- Valid Research
- Evaluation Results
- Professional Development
- Developmental Appropriateness
- Alignment with State Standards
Neither curricula reached the established thresholds for pilot or full approval. One vendor has submitted an intent to appeal, which will be considered by the CRC in March 2019. An updated and final list of approved curricula will be posted on the department's GSRP website on or before April 1, 2019.
- Memo from Scott Koenigsknecht, Deputy Superintendent, P-20 System and Student Transitions
- Report on Enhancements to the Process based on Stakeholder Feedback
- Curriculum Approval Process Overview (Updated 10/08/2018)
- Curriculum Model Evaluation Criteria
- Rubric for Curriculum Model Evaluation (Updated 11/07/2018)
- Intent to Submit
- Application Checklist for Submission of Preschool Curriculum
- Curriculum Review Committee (CRC) Results
Required Program Resources
- GSRP MEGS+ Instructions
- MEGS+ Security Authorization Instructions
- Michigan Education Information System (MEIS) Instructions
- GEMS/MARS Website
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program Supports Dual Language Learners
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program: Replicating Evidence of Impact in Rural Michigan
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program: New Evidence of Impact
- Great Start Readiness Program Evaluation by HighScope Confirms Positive Student Impact
- Child Eligibility Reports
- Program Quality/Staff Characteristics Reports
- GSRP Main Contacts
- GSRP Early Childhood Contacts
- Essential Practices in Early Literacy
- Early Childhood Specialist Webinars
- Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children (MiAEYC)
- Great Start to Quality
- MI Head Start Association - Grantees & Delegates
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Core Knowledge & Core Competencies
- Talk, Read, and Sing Together Every Day!
- 2019-20 Michigan Student Data System Collection Details Manual
About Our Office
- GSRP Contact Information
- GSRP Consultant Assignment Map
- GSRP Consultant Assignment List
- Map to Michigan Department of Education - Hannah Building, Lansing