Skip to main content

Get Licensed as an Adult Foster Care Family Home (6 or less)

Licensing is the process by which the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), Bureau of Community and Health Systems (BCHS) regulates adult foster care family homes. The process requires that adult foster care licenses are in compliance with the rules for adult foster care homes.

Step I - You must read the Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Family Homes and the Adult Foster Care Licensing Act (1979 PA 218) prior to completing the online application

Internet Explorer is required to complete the online application.

Note: You must have a credit card or a debit card to pay the fee online (Discover or American Express Cards are not accepted). If you do not have one of these, complete the Adult Foster Care Family Home Application - BCAL-1047.

Step II – The application must be completed online including submission of a $100.00 application fee. You are required to submit additional information as part of your application. All items must be returned together and sent to:

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Community and Health Systems
P.O. Box 30664
Lansing, MI 48909-8164

Licensing Record Clearance (BCAL-1326A-FP)  to be completed by Applicant/Co-Applicant
A Licensing Record Clearance Request will need to be completed and submitted for all License Applicants/Co-Applicants.

Licensing Information Request (BCHS-AFC 100) to be completed by Adult Member of Household and Responsible Person
A Licensing Information Request form will need to be completed and submitted for members of the household (18 years of age or older, who live in the home and are not foster care residents) and all responsible persons.

If additional forms are needed, please contact the Licensing Unit at 1-866-856-0126. This information is mandatory. Your application will not be processed until this information has been received.

Medical Clearance Request (BCAL-3704-AFC). You must provide a Medical Clearance Request (BCAL 3704-AFC), or its equivalent, completed by a licensed physician or their designee for each license applicant and each responsible person. It cannot be dated more than 6 months prior to license issuance. It is recommended that you do not have the Medical Clearance Request completed until you speak to a consultant.

The following documentation must also be submitted as part of the application.

1 R 400.1405 (3) Tuberculosis. You must provide written evidence that each license applicant and responsible person is free from communicable tuberculosis.

2 R 400.147 (10) House guidelines. If you intend to have resident house guidelines, you will need to submit them to your consultant for review and approval.

3 400.1438 (1) Evacuation Plan. You will need to develop an evacuation plan and written procedures to be followed in case of fire, medical and severe weather emergency. You will need to submit your evacuation plan to your consultant for review and approval.

NOTE: The items above are only some of the required documents and information. Your licensing consultant may ask for additional information as part of the licensure process. It is your responsibility to review the rules and statutory requirements and demonstrate compliance to the department. A recommendation for license issuance cannot be made and your application will not be considered complete, until all the items listed above, as well as any requested by your consultant, have been reviewed and approved by the department.


If you have a well and/or private sewage disposal system, it will need to be inspected by the local county health authority. The Department will arrange for this inspection.

Please note that once you have submitted your application you may not add or delete a licensee name from the application or change the facility type you have indicated on your application. These changes require that you submit a new application and a new fee.

Fees are non-transferable. When a new application is required, fees previously submitted cannot be credited to the new application. It is therefore strongly recommended that you contact the local field office and speak with a licensing consultant prior to submitting your application and fee to assure that you are submitting the correct application, for the correct facility type, with the appropriate licensee name. You may find the local field office listing online at Adult Foster Care/ Homes for the Aged. Click on the “contact information” button in the “contact us” box.

For additional information, please contact the Licensing Unit at 866-685-0006.