Michigan’s Electric Customer Choice program permits you to shop for power supply for your business from a diverse market of licensed alternative electric suppliers (AES). If you are an electric business customer of Consumers Energy Company, DTE Electric Company, Upper Peninsula Power Company, Upper Michigan Energy Resources Corporation or Cloverland Electric Cooperative, you may choose to shop for your power supply through an AES or continue to get your electric supply from your current electric utility under existing regulated rates (rates of Cloverland are not regulated by the MPSC).
However, under state law, no more than 10 percent of an electric utility’s average weather-adjusted retail sales for the preceding calendar year may take service from an AES at any time. If your utility’s 10 percent cap is fully subscribed, you will be placed in their queue.
Due to the limit on participation, no licensed AESs are currently marketing or enrolling residential customers.
The rates of AESs are not regulated. Your power supply will continue to be delivered by your local electric utility regardless of which alternative electric supplier you choose.
The following utilities provide additional information about their Electric Choice programs.
- Alpena Power Company
- Consumers Energy Company
- DTE Electric Company
- Indiana Michigan Power Company (American Electric Power Company)
- Presque Isle Electric and Gas Cooperative
- Tri-County Electric Cooperative
- Upper Peninsula Power Company
- Upper Michigan Energy Resources Corporation
See the MPSC’s consumer tip to learn more about Michigan’s Electric Customer Choice program.
Public Notice of Capacity Charges
Licensed Alternative Electricity Suppliers
- Licensed Alternative Electric Suppliers
- Licensed Electric Suppliers in Cloverland Electric Cooperative's Service Territory
- Licensed Electric Suppliers in Consumers Energy's Service Territory
- Licensed Electric Suppliers in DTE Electric Company's Service Territory
- Licensed Electric Suppliers in Indiana Michigan's Service Territory
- Licensed Electric Suppliers in Upper Peninsula Power Company's Service Territory
- Licensed Electric Suppliers in Upper Michigan Energy Resources Corporation's Service Territory