Provisions in 2016 PA 341 Sec. 6w require all electric providers to demonstrate to the MPSC that they have enough resources to serve the anticipated needs of their customers.
- Commission order adopts findings and recommendations contained in the Staff reports and opens a new docket for the receipt of 2021 capacity demonstration filings
- Staff issued it's most recent report outlining findings of capacity demonstrations on March 26, 2021
- AES, Co-ops, and Municipally owned electric providers filed capacity demonstrations on or around Feb. 9, 2021
- IOUs filed their capacity demonstrations on December 1, 2020
- Six orders issued
- Five stakeholder/technical conferences held
- 2022 capacity demonstrations by IOUs due on or before December 1, 2021.
- 2022 capacity demonstrations by AES, Co-ops, and Municipally-owned electric providers due on or before February 9, 2021.
- The Michigan Supreme Court Order on April 2, 2020 reversed the decision of the Court of Appeals on the MPSC's authority to impose a local clearing requirement. Please see the issue brief for more information. The earliest application of a locational requirement would be in the 2022 capacity demonstration process for planning years 2025/2026.
- SRM capacity charges for each utility's service territory should be reviewed at least once per year in a contested case concluding by December 1 each year.
- In an order dated November 12, 2018 in Case U-20348, the Commission directed Commission Staff to work with interested stakeholders to discuss issues related to demand response aggregation. These discussions may result in changes to the currently approved capacity demonstration processes and requirements
On September 15, 2017, the MPSC issued an order in Case No. U-18197 outlining the format by which all electric providers in Michigan will be required to file their capacity demonstrations for planning years 2018-2021, pursuant to the State Reliability Mechanism as outlined by Section 6w of PA 341 of 2016. Also see the issue brief released by the Commission.
Also on September 15, 2017, the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-18441, opening a docket which will ultimately become the repository for all capacity demonstrations made by electric providers for planning years 2018-2021.
On October 11, 2017, the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-18444 to establish a forward locational requirement that would be applicable starting in the 2022 planning year. Please see docket U-18444 to review the order and press release as well as to participate in the contested case or to follow the case as it progresses.
On May 5, 2018, the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-18441 to adopt the findings and recommendations contained in the Commission Staff's March 6 and March 14, 2019 capacity demonstration report. New docket opened in U-20154 for 2019 capacity demonstration.
On August 8, 2019, the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-20154 to adopt the findings and recommendations contained in the Commission Staff's March 28, 2019 capacity demonstration report. New docket opened in U-20590 for 2020 capacity demonstration.
On August 20, 2020, the Commission issued an order in Case No. U-20590 to adopt the findings and recommendations contained in the Commission Staff's March 27, 2020 capacity demonstration report. New docket opened in U-20886 for 2021 capacity demonstration.
On July 2,2021, The Commission issued an order in Case No. U-20886 to adopt the findings and recommendations contained in the Commission Staff's March 26, 2021 capacity demonstration report. New docket opened in U-21099 for 2022 capacity demonstration.
Capacity Demonstration Documents
U-21099 Capacity Demonstration Templates (PY 2024-2025)
U-201099 Commission Order approves updated capacity demonstration documents and templates and directs LSE's to file their 2022 capacity demonstrations for the 2025-2026 planning year.
U-20886 Staff Report and Recommendations
U-20590 Staff Report and Recommendations
U-20390 Staff Report and Recommendations
U-20154 Staff Report and Recommendations
U-18441 Staff Report and Recommendations
U-18441 and U-18197 Staff Capacity Obligation Memo
July 12, 2018
May 17, 2018
March 14, 2018
March 6, 2018
October 11, 2017
September 15, 2017
August 1, 2017
July 17, 2017
July 10, 2017
June 29-30, 2017
June 8, 2017
April 26, 2017
April 11, 2017