The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
The MPSC is responsible for overseeing the safety and reliability of natural gas transmission, distribution, and gathering systems through a comprehensive set of safety and technical standards and associated compliance inspection and enforcement activities. These regulatory functions are conducted pursuant to state and federal laws and rules with authority delegated by the federal government, specifically the United States Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).
The MPSC is granted the authority to establish and enforce gas safety standards under Public Act 165 of 1969 (PA 165). The Michigan Gas Safety Standards promulgated under PA 165 adopt the Minimum Federal Safety Standards for Transportation of Natural and Other Gas by Pipeline (49 CFR Part 192). The MPSC conducts pipeline operator inspections, incident investigations, and enforcement activities for all jurisdictional intrastate gas pipeline systems in Michigan. The MPSC is designated as an interstate agent to conduct inspections and investigations and relay findings for enforcement to PHMSA for interstate gas pipeline systems in Michigan.
The MPSC's pipeline safety program does not have jurisdiction over hazardous liquid pipelines.
Additional Resources :
- 2023 Gas Safety Inspections and Program Updates (Letter to Pipeline Operators)
- 2023 Underground Natural Gas Storage Inspections and Program Updates (Letter to UNGS Operators)
- 2022 Gas Safety Inspections and Program Updates (Letter to Pipeline Operators)
- 2021 Gas Safety Inspections and Program Updates (Letter to Pipeline Operators)
- 2020 Gas Safety Inspections and Program Updates (Letter to Pipeline Operators)
- Federal Pipeline Safety Regulation by PHMSA
- National Pipeline Mapping System (NPMS)
- 2019 Excavation Handbook
- Pipeline Safety Stakeholder Communications
- MISS DIG 811
- MPSC Presentations;
For questions and inquiries related to the Michigan Public Service Commission's pipeline safety program, please contact: