The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Transportation & Storage
Michigan's natural gas system is complex and diverse with over 59,000 miles of distribution pipelines, 3.3 million service lines, and 9,000 miles of transmission and gathering pipelines that serve the needs of customers in the Upper and Lower Peninsulas. To learn more about the exploration, production, transmission, storage, distribution, and marketing of natural gas in Michigan, click here
Natural Gas Well Permitting and Production
Application for Standard Well Connection Permit Form P-171-G
Permit application P-171-G (01/2023 revision) is available in Microsoft Word or Excel, and Adobe Acrobat PDF formats. These formats will allow you to enter information onto the form electronically.
General instructions for completing the form are included at the top of the form. Questions on the permit application should be directed to MPSC production staff.
- Application for Well Connection Permit (form P-171-G) (Microsoft Word)
- Application for Well Connection Permit (form P-171-G) (Microsoft Excel)
- Application for Well Connection Permit (form P-171-G) (Adobe PDF)
Monthly Production Report Forms
The MPSC and the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy, Oil, Gas and Minerals Division (EGLE-OGMD) use common forms for reporting production to both agencies.
Instructions for completing the hard copy form are included under each column heading on the form. Questions on gas production reporting should be directed to MPSC production staff.
Production reports are due 45 days after the end of the month. Completed copies of the monthly production reporting form for gas wells and oil wells that produce gas are to be mailed to both the MPSC and EGLE-OGMD.
Oil well production reports should be submitted to the EGLE-OGMD only. Oil well reporting questions should be directed to John McTiernan, 517-284-6834.
- Monthly Production Report, EQP 7101
- Annual Production Report, EQP 7101A
- Monthly Production Report (Trenton Black River), EQP 7105
For electronic filing of monthly production reports, please access the MPSC Oil & Gas Well Production system.
For production questions, contact MPSC production staff
Gas Safety & Operations Division, Phone: 517-284-8220
Cindy Creisher, 517-275-2823, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kevin Spence, 517-284-8263, email@example.com
For information related to oil production, see the EGLE-OGMD.
Additional Michigan Natural Gas Production Information at the Michigan Public Service Commission:
- Monthly Michigan Gas Production Reports
- MPSC Orders - Production, Pipelines
- MPSC Rules related to Production
- Production and Transmission Rules
- Michigan Public Act 9 of 1929
- Michigan Energy Appraisal
- Data on Michigan's underground natural gas storage fields.