This site contains everything you need to know about health insurance, how to get covered, and how to use your coverage to keep yourself and your family healthy.
There are many ways to get covered, and there is no wrong way to begin. Open enrollment on the Health Insurance Marketplace runs Nov. 1 to Dec. 15. Outside of that time, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you experience a qualifying life event, such as a job loss or change in household size.
No matter the time of year, you can also apply for coverage through MI Bridges, where you will be evaluated on whether you could be covered by Medicaid, the Healthy Michigan Plan, or the Children's Health Insurance Program.
When to apply: Open enrollment on the Health Insurance Marketplace runs Nov. 1 to Dec. 15. Outside of that time, you may be eligible to enroll if you've experienced a qualifying life event. Learn more.
For assistance: Visit localhelp.healthcare.gov or call the Marketplace Call Center at 800-318-2596.
Coverage is available through Medicaid and the Healthy Michigan Plan, depending on income and other factors.
When to apply: Any time
For assistance: Visit MI Bridges or call the Michigan Health Care Helpline at 855-789-5610.
Seniors age 65 and older who have lost employer-provided health insurance during the pandemic may be able to sign up for Medicare during a special enrollment period.
For assistance: Visit Medicare.gov or call the Michigan Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program at 800-803-7174.
Get Answers to Your Questions
Access the health insurance resources below or contact the Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) at 877-999-6442 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For a list of other state and federal agencies that may be able to help with health coverage questions, visit the Important Contact Information webpage.
- Glossary of Health Coverage and Medical Terms
- Employer Group Coverage
- Individual Coverage
- Shopping for a Health Plan
- Costs of Individual Health Plans
- Comprehensive Health Plans - Minimum Essential Coverage
- Limited Benefit Insurance Plans
- Medical Expense Reimbursement Accounts
- Required Coverage
- Paying Medical Bills
- Switching Health Plans
- Filing a Complaint With DIFS
- Appealing a Decision Made by Your Health Insurer
- Other Resources
- Medicare Supplement Policies
- Senior Health Insurance Resources
- Michigan Senior Guide to Health Insurance
- Medicare & You 2021
- 2021 Guide to Choosing a Medigap Policy
- Authorized Medicare Supplement Companies
- Long-Term Care Insurance: Is it right for you?
- Michigan Authorized Long-Term Care Companies
We want to hear from you: