MDE CDC Providers Section Title

Notice: The Department continues to work towards addressing low CDC provider reimbursement rates and ensuring that the subsidy covers expenses to meet both the parent and provider needs.  On March 2 (Pay Period  905 for 2/17/2019 – 3/2/2019) we will officially be changing the structure of the CDC subsidy payments!  We will be moving to a Bi-Weekly Block Reimbursement.  Child care centers, group homes and family homes who bill the CDC program for more than 30 hours bi-weekly, will be reimbursed in a “block” of 60, 80 or 90 hours. Bi-weekly block reimbursement is intended to reflect how providers charge the general public for part-time or full-time care, versus hourly care.  For example, if a provider cares for/bills for a child for 82 hours in a bi-weekly pay period they will be paid for 90 hours rather than 82.

Now Available—FREE Online Health and Safety Training to support licensed child care providers with meeting new health and safety licensing requirements.  You can find the health and safety training at  There are two courses.  Each course is four hours and covers several health and safety topics and child development.  Licensed Providers that complete both courses will receive eight hours of professional development. If you have not already created an account in MiRegistry you will need to do so when you go in to sign up for training. Click on the 'create an account' option to get started. 

Information and Resources - If you are a licensed child care provider, or wish to become one, we encourage you to take advantage of our information and resources to help you provide quality care.

If you provide care for a child receiving child care assistance from the State, use these resources to help you through the billing and payment process.

License exempt (formerly known as unlicensed) Child Care Providers are adults, age 18 or older, who are enrolled to provide child care for up to six children at a time.  License exempt providers can provide care in their own home or the child's home if they are related by blood, marriage or adoption as a:

  • (Great) Grandparent
  • (Great) Aunt or Uncle
  • Sibling (only if the provider and the child do not live together).

License exempt Child Care Providers who are not related to the child can only provide care in the child's home. You must meet requirements and apply to become a license exempt provider in order to receive assistance payments for a child that you care for. Go to the License Exempt Provider Application to begin the process.


How do I become a licensed provider?

If you wish to be licensed as a child care center, group child care home or family child care home, call the Bureau of Community Health Systems (BCHS) toll free at 1-866-685-0006 or visit:

As a licensed provider, how do I accept MDHHS CDC subsidy-eligible children?

If you’re currently a licensed provider and wish to accept an MDHHS CDC subsidy-eligible child(ren) into your program, you will need to complete the DHS-4025, Provider Verification form (located in the Parent Forms and Publications section of this website), selecting you as their provider. They will submit the form to MDHHS. No other forms are necessary.

For reimbursement, please go to the Provider Resources section of this webpage and review the I-Billing instructions and Billing help information.

How do I apply to become a license exempt (formerly known as unlicensed) provider?

You must meet eligibility requirements to become a license exempt provider in order to receive assistance payments for a child that you care for. To begin, complete a CDC License Exempt Provider Application, which can also be found below or call 1-866-990-3227.

How should I bill as a child care provider?

To be paid, you must submit billing information to the Department using I-Billing (Internet Billing). You will need to know:

  • Your provider ID number.
  • Your personal identification number (PIN).
  • The pay period number (see Payment Schedule).
  • The number of hours the child(ren) were in care while the parent attended his or her authorized activity (using your time and attendance records).

How will I be reimbursed?

Payments are based on the parent's eligibility and the child's attendance. Providers submit their billing to the Department every two-weeks and are paid every two weeks. The estimated check mailing date and Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) deposit dates are listed on the CDC Payment Schedule. Provider billing information submitted after the deadline, but within seven days of the deadline, will be paid the following week.

What is the FBI fingerprint process?  

License Exempt Provider FBI Fingerprint Process

What if I am found ineligible prior to fingerprinting?

If you are found ineligible to be a license exempt provider before your fingerprint and background check is complete, you will receive a letter from the Child Development and Care office explaining the reason for the denial. After reviewing the letter, if you have questions, you may contact 866-990-3227 for assistance.

What if I am found ineligible after fingerprinting?

If you are found ineligible to be a license exempt provider, you will be notified by the Child Care Background Check unit within the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).  The notice will include the reason for your ineligibility.  LARA will send you a form that tells you how to request a re-determination, in the event that this determination was made based upon inaccurate information or records. If you have questions about your fingerprint denial you may contact LARA for assistance at 844-765-2247.


Provider Forms & Publications

Provider Forms & Publications

Providers Resources

Provider Resources