Early On® Michigan
When a baby is born, every parent hopes that he/she will have a healthy baby. Sometimes, however, things don't go as planned. The baby may be ill or may seem slow in doing things such as smiling, sitting up or speaking. Early On specializes in evaluating and treating children that are not developing at the same rate as other children. This can include physical, mental, communication, adaptive, social or emotional development.
If you have a concern about a baby's health or development, Early On serves infants and toddlers from birth to 36 months with developmental delay or conditions that could lead to such delay. It has been well established that early intervention is an effective way to prevent or reduce problems for children at a later age. Call 1-800-EarlyOn (800-327-5966) to confidentially discuss concerns.
Early On is offered by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) as the state lead agency. MDE collaborates with the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services in implementing the Early On system.
Early On Vision
Infants and toddlers who are enrolled in Early On reach their fullest potential, successfully transitioning to the next phase of life, with empowered and supportive families.
Early On Mission
Early On builds upon and provides supports and resources to assist family members and caregivers to enhance eligible children's learning and development through every day learning opportunities.
Early On - Governor's Emergency Education Relief (GEER) Funds
- MEMO #COVID-19-096 Guidance for Implementation of Early On, Great Start Collaborative, Great Start Parent Coalitions, and Home Visiting for MI Safe Schools: Michigan's 2020-2021 Return to School Roadmap and Executive Order 2020-142
- Home-based Early Childhood Services, Guidelines for How to Restart In-Person Visits
- Keeping Everyone Safe During a Home Visit - images
- Keeping Everyone Safe During a Home Visit - Spanish
- Keeping Everyone Safe During a Home Visit - no images
- MEMO #COVID-19-073 Updated (6-23-20) Guidance for Implementation of Early On in Response to COVID-19
- MEMO #COVID-19-071 Continuity of Learning Plans for Early Childhood Programs and Services
- MEMO #COVID-19-063 Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education Waivers Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- MEMO #COVID-19-061 Financial Accounting Guidance During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- MEMO #COVID-19-057 Updated (05-20-20) Guidance for Compliance with IDEA and the Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education
- MEMO #COVID-19-049 Implementation of Early On During Implementation of Continuity of Learning and COVID-19 Response Plan
- MEMO #COVID-19-003 Compliance Requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Part C during a Public Health Emergency
- MEMO #COVID-19-020 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Part C (Early On) during K-12 School Closure due to Executive Orders 2020-11 and 2020-21 (COVID-19)
- Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education During the COVID-19 Pandemic Version 2.0
To access all COVID-19 updates, go to the MDE website at www.michigan.gov/mde.
Additional early childhood information and resources can be found on MDE's COVID-19 Early Childhood Information and Resources page.
For more information on statewide efforts, please visit the coordinated Michigan Coronavirus website.
State School Aid Act Section 54d
Fiscal Year 2021
Fiscal Year 2020
State School Aid Act Section 54d Non-Supplanting Requirement Q&A
State School Aid Act Section 54d Questions from the Field (posted 9-21-18) Excel format
Application for FY19 Section 54d of the State School Aid Act Funds for Early On Webinar Recording
If you would like a copy of the PowerPoint, please contact Cheryl Najm at email@example.com or 517-335-1580.
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Public Reporting of Data
Federal regulations implementing the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) at Section 303.702(b)(1)(i)(A) require public reporting on the performance of each early intervention program on the targets established in the State Performance Plan for each of the priority areas for Part C (Birth through age 2), Early On Michigan. Data may also be found on www.mischooldata.org by clicking "Download Early On (Part C) Public Report Spreadsheet" under "Special Education - Annual Public Reporting - SPP" then choosing "Special Education Summary" located in the top navigation menu.
Specific questions regarding the Early On or infant/toddler content of the Public Report should be addressed to MDE-SPP-Public-Reporting@michigan.gov or 517-241-7004. If you have difficulty with the public reporting website, please email CEPI@michigan.gov.
FFY18 Michigan Part C Public Reports (published May 2020) (Excel format)
Early On Michigan Organizations
- Early On Michigan Major Grantees
- Early On Michigan Website
- Early On State Interagency Team
- Early On Training & Technical Assistance Website
- Michigan Alliance for Families
- Michigan Interagency Coordinating Council
Early On Policies
- Early On Michigan Family Guidebook (English)
- Early On Michigan Family Guidebook (Spanish)
- Early On Michigan Family Guidebook (Arabic)
- Early On Michigan Glossary
- Early On Procedural Safeguards Protecting Families' Rights (Revised 6/2018)
- Early On Procedural Safeguards Protecting Families' Rights-Arabic
- Early On Procedural Safeguards Protecting Families' Rights-Spanish
- Michigan Family to Family
- Request for State Complaint Investigation Form
- Transition to Kindergarten Parent Guides
- Michigan FFY18 Part C State Performance Plan/Annual Performance Report (submitted February/April 2020) & State Systemic Improvement Plan Phase III, Final Report (submitted April 2020)
- Michigan FFY20 Part C of IDEA Application (submitted 5/1/2020) & Revised Section III (submitted 6/1/2020)
- Michigan's Part C 2020 Determination letter
- Michigan's Part C State Systemic Improvement Plan website
Many procedural documents are also posted on the Early On Training and Technical Assistance website: http://eotta.ccresa.org.
- 2020-2021 Final Early On Federal Allocations
- 2019-2020 Final Early On Federal Allocations
- 2019-2020 Final Early On State School Aid Section 54d Allocations
- 5-3-12 Memo - Maintenance of Effort as Required Under IDEA
- 5-16-16 Memo - New Authorization to Share Forms
- 9-13-16 Memo - Clarification Around Request for Protected Information and Authorization to Release Early On Records Forms
- 6-26-18 Memo - Early On Procedural Safeguards Protecting Families' Rights
- 5-14-2020 Memo - Determination Requirements under Part C of IDEA and How Local Service Area Determinations Were Established - May 2020
- Authorization to Release Early On Record
- Early On Data Website
- Early On Due Process Complaint Procedures (Revised 6/2018)
- Early On Due Process Complaint Procedures-Arabic
- Early On Due Process Complaint Procedures-Spanish
- Early On Established Conditions List
- Early On Michigan Implementation Manual
- Early On Michigan Prior Written Notice: Birth to Three Years (6/14/18)
- Early On Parental Consent
- Early On Request for Information (Non-Health)
- Early On Request for Protected Information (Health)
- Essentials of Early On Training Memo (2-4-15)
- Feeding and Swallowing Concerns Guidance Document 2015
- How do I begin the process of becoming Endorsed® by MI-AIMH?
- Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) Elements
- Maintenance of Effort Process
- Maintenance of Effort Q&A
- Michigan Local Interagency Coordinating Council Handbook (6/2018)
- Michigan State Plan
- Michigan System of Payments Policy for Part C of IDEA
- Periodic Review of IFSP and Annual Meeting to Evaluate IFSP Guidance (Revised 11-2-17)
- Personnel Standards (2-4-15)
- Personnel Standards and Essentials of Early On Training FAQs (2-4-15)
- Questions and Answers Regarding Data Collection for Young Children Under Three Years of Age
- Temporary Early On Consultants and EOT&TA Specialist Assignments (9-2019)
Noel Kelty, Part C Coordinator
Laura Goldthwait, Consultant
Kelly Hurshe, Consultant
Colleen O'Connor, Consultant
Barb Schinderle, MICC Liaison
Cheryl Najm, Department Analyst